Just Venting

The beer I was brewing that day was a Cranberry Chocolate Stout, which I ended up calling "Bloody Finger".
The beer turned out great after being left post boil in the kettle for close to 24 hours before getting it into a fermenter..
I have brewed it twice since, it is one of my best recipes

The only problem is that you can only brew the recipe a total of ten times! :D

retrieved the missing finger print,
Hmm. Can it be used to unlock your phone?

So now you have no fingerprint there? Maybe a new career as an untraceable spy, or perhaps burglar?

I have heard of similar incidents, but the fingerprint returned same as before. Strange.

@BarbarianBrewer Made me laugh out loud!

Hmm. Can it be used to unlock your phone?

So now you have no fingerprint there? Maybe a new career as an untraceable spy, or perhaps burglar?

I have heard of similar incidents, but the fingerprint returned same as before. Strange.

@BarbarianBrewer Made me laugh out loud!
A decent portion of the fingerprint returned, but there is a significant enough area of scar tissue that my phone will not accept it.

No injury to report, but I had my second ever bottle breakage. This morning I went to retrieve a couple bottles from the garage to chill for tonight after work. I noticed the smell of beer, and moisture on the bottoms of both bottles. As I checked the rest of the bottles in my tote, one came up missing it’s bottom, as well as the beer it once held. I’m guessing that bottle may have failed due to aggressive cleaning with my bottle brush? Hopefully I don’t have this occur again anytime soon.
My first ever breakage occurred during capping, when the bottle broke at the neck.

So I did my first all grain batch today. Everything went great, finished in the expected range for gravity and volume and cooled to 72F . I tasted it and it was good. Got it into my carboy that was fresh cleaned and sanitized when I noticed a very fine stream of liquid spraying from near the bottom of the carboy. I sanitized a bucket and went to dump it in when it shattered in my hands while lifting from the bottom. It was on the deck so I couldn't have tried to rack it. Picking it up was my only option. 5.5 gallons of beer all over my deck. At least I was outside. Pretty bummed but I just ordered another kit. Now I have plans for next Saturday. That will go right into a bucket.

I had a Pyrex dish that exploded in my kitchen once year ago for absolutely no reason, still makes me cringe a bit though i am a glass carboy user myself. Anyhow, big RIP for your grain batch. Just started using grain myself, first batch i pitched way too much priming sugar in to realize i didn't have enough bottles ready, but i was tired so i wasn't thinking. Pretty sure i have glass grenades in my fridge now. Hopefully not the case now that they're cold, but, i feel they're pretty much ruined too. Double RIP

I had a Pyrex dish that exploded in my kitchen once year ago for absolutely no reason, still makes me cringe a bit though i am a glass carboy user myself. Anyhow, big RIP for your grain batch. Just started using grain myself, first batch i pitched way too much priming sugar in to realize i didn't have enough bottles ready, but i was tired so i wasn't thinking. Pretty sure i have glass grenades in my fridge now. Hopefully not the case now that they're cold, but, i feel they're pretty much ruined too. Double RIP
Get em really cold before opening and open slow :D

So I did my first all grain batch today. Everything went great, finished in the expected range for gravity and volume and cooled to 72F . I tasted it and it was good. Got it into my carboy that was fresh cleaned and sanitized when I noticed a very fine stream of liquid spraying from near the bottom of the carboy. I sanitized a bucket and went to dump it in when it shattered in my hands while lifting from the bottom. It was on the deck so I couldn't have tried to rack it. Picking it up was my only option. 5.5 gallons of beer all over my deck. At least I was outside. Pretty bummed but I just ordered another kit. Now I have plans for next Saturday. That will go right into a bucket.

Well good thig you are not hurt that's number 1. My understanding is some home brew stores have glass fermenters from china that have imperfections that cause the bottom to blow out. Apparently you want the Italian glass if you are going that route. Maybe you can pick up a bucket instead as a replacement. As long as you don't scratch the inside it's lighter, you can get one with a spigot and begone with the siphon etc. I do find that buckets don't have the best seal so even though it still ferments fine you don't get the satisfying bubble action in the air lock. But I digress ...

Well good thig you are not hurt that's number 1. My understanding is some home brew stores have glass fermenters from china that have imperfections that cause the bottom to blow out. Apparently you want the Italian glass if you are going that route. Maybe you can pick up a bucket instead as a replacement. As long as you don't scratch the inside it's lighter, you can get one with a spigot and begone with the siphon etc. I do find that buckets don't have the best seal so even though it still ferments fine you don't get the satisfying bubble action in the air lock. But I digress ...
I brewed this same all grain kit on May 1St and it is successfully fermenting it in one of my many buckets I've acquired. I was a tad low on my post boil gravity but not by enough to worry over. It was my first time using the equipment I used so I've still got the learning curve to go.

How did they turn out?

Back