Just Venting

Gunkleneil

Premium Member
Reaction score
So I did my first all grain batch today. Everything went great, finished in the expected range for gravity and volume and cooled to 72F . I tasted it and it was good. Got it into my carboy that was fresh cleaned and sanitized when I noticed a very fine stream of liquid spraying from near the bottom of the carboy. I sanitized a bucket and went to dump it in when it shattered in my hands while lifting from the bottom. It was on the deck so I couldn't have tried to rack it. Picking it up was my only option. 5.5 gallons of beer all over my deck. At least I was outside. Pretty bummed but I just ordered another kit. Now I have plans for next Saturday. That will go right into a bucket.

They asked me about the main thing to take into account to make beer and for me the investment to take into account is the fermenter, with cold and heat, the minimum is the cold then heat, and I explain that if you can' not, you start with the yeasts according to the ambient temperature. the other thing is that beer does not like light so it has to be a non-translucent material or have a dark place, or be able to cover the fermenter. For me the glass just for a test to see if you like to get started in this world of beer..
You start and move on with what you have, and you get used to the process..
If all goes well one continues with the same thing.

We have all (I think) had batch losses for different reasons the important thing is to learn and continue. I regret your loss of so much work.
Go ahead

So I did my first all grain batch today. Everything went great, finished in the expected range for gravity and volume and cooled to 72F . I tasted it and it was good. Got it into my carboy that was fresh cleaned and sanitized when I noticed a very fine stream of liquid spraying from near the bottom of the carboy. I sanitized a bucket and went to dump it in when it shattered in my hands while lifting from the bottom. It was on the deck so I couldn't have tried to rack it. Picking it up was my only option. 5.5 gallons of beer all over my deck. At least I was outside. Pretty bummed but I just ordered another kit. Now I have plans for next Saturday. That will go right into a bucket.

Did you have anything under the carboy? If not the crack may have come pressure from a screw head or a pebble putting a ton of pressure at a tiny point on the carboy. When I use my glass carboy, I always have a foam mat under it. Glad there were no injuries!!

That stinks man. I read all of those kind of horror stories before I bought any fermenters once I left the bucket error. No glass for me.

Did you have anything under the carboy? If not the crack may have come pressure from a screw head or a pebble putting a ton of pressure at a tiny point on the carboy. When I use my glass carboy, I always have a foam mat under it. Glad there were no injuries!!
I did not. The tiny leak was about an inch up the side. I had just removed another batch from it and cleaned it. So I got lucky with that other batch. I got a bunch of equipment for pretty cheap from someone moving and didn't want to take it all with him so I've got some more carboys and buckets to use. I'll give the mat a try next time. I've read about carboys breaking so I always lift from the bottom to try to limit the stress on it.

I did not. The tiny leak was about an inch up the side. I had just removed another batch from it and cleaned it. So I got lucky with that other batch. I got a bunch of equipment for pretty cheap from someone moving and didn't want to take it all with him so I've got some more carboys and buckets to use. I'll give the mat a try next time. I've read about carboys breaking so I always lift from the bottom to try to limit the stress on it.
You need a quiet chat with our friend @Craigerrr I think:)

Maybe try putting the carboy in a washing basket or so.
There are "made to measure" ones, but a basket, bucket or something should work

The story starts the same as yours but, ends with a trip to the emergency room and a beer named Bloody Finger! :eek:
Ouch. Yeah I was definitely lucky. I can see where that could have happened. Had a similar indecent with a nitro RC airplane propeller. Almost took my thumb off trying to adjust the carb got a bunch of stitches.

I had a glass carboy break, it sliced most of the pad of my right index finger off, it took months to heal. I immediately ordered 2 plastic fermenters, and sold all of my glass carboys. I had posted pictures, but they eventually got removed from the thread. Some may have found that too graphic...
My son went out to the garage where it happened and retrieved the missing finger print, but I let the wound heal without trying to replace it.

EVERYONE, SELL YOUR GLASS, SAVE YOUR DIGITS!!!!

Picture Will Farrell doing the everybody panic scene...

I had a glass carboy break, it sliced most of the pad of my right index finger off, it took months to heal. I immediately ordered 2 plastic fermenters, and sold all of my glass carboys. I had posted pictures, but they eventually got removed from the thread. Some may have found that too graphic...
My son went out to the garage where it happened and retrieved the missing finger print, but I let the wound heal without trying to replace it.

EVERYONE, SELL YOUR GLASS, SAVE YOUR DIGITS!!!!

Picture Will Farrell doing the everybody panic scene...
Wow I can't believe the pictures have been removed!
I suppose if you've had one too many it might cause an involuntary gut response:eek:

The beer I was brewing that day was a Cranberry Chocolate Stout, which I ended up calling "Bloody Finger".
The beer turned out great after being left post boil in the kettle for close to 24 hours before getting it into a fermenter..
I have brewed it twice since, it is one of my best recipes

Back