Just opened my first bottle of Belgian Dubbel.

Discussion in 'Beginners Brewing Forum' started by metalnerdsolid, May 21, 2018.

1. metalnerdsolid

metalnerdsolid New Member

From the description of the beer, I think I got it on point. It is very rich and malty, retains it's head nicely and has a slight bitterness that fades. Kind of like drinking carbonated Mead imo. Input? What should it taste like?

2. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

Might I suggest you buy a bottle of a good commercial example? This link has a listing of examples of the style:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/57/

I'd look for those at the top of their ratings. Alternately, the BJCP guidelines for the style mention a couple of examples:

"Commercial Examples: Westmalle Dubbel, St. Bernardus Pater 6, La Trappe Dubbel, Corsendonk Abbey Brown Ale, Grimbergen Double, Affligem Dubbel, Chimay Premiere (Red), Pater Lieven Bruin, Duinen Dubbel, St. Feuillien Brune, New Belgium Abbey Belgian Style Ale, Stoudts Abbey Double Ale, Russian River Benediction, Flying Fish Dubbel, Lost Abbey Lost and Found Abbey Ale, Allagash Double"

3. KC

KC Active Member

Westmalle is the flagship Dubbel. Go find one of those and a Chimay Red to compare. They're carried by the same importer so you shouldn't have to look too hard.

N0mad likes this.
  4. N0mad

N0mad Well-Known Member

Software Engineer
    Pick up a Chimay Red & Blue an experience for your taste buds

5. J A

J A Well-Known Member

I don't know know if I'd ever compare a Dubbel (or probably any Belgian beer) to a Mead, but assuming you're using a proper yeast, your beer is probably to style. Big and malty is definitely a key with relatively low hop bitterness and flavor. A Dubbel should be a pretty high-gravity beer, as well. Not too much that's "sessionable" about it - it should have some noticeable warmth and kick from the alcohol. It's the distinctive spice and fruit notes from the yeast that are really going to make it a proper Dubbel. If you're not tasting fruitcake, you missed. :)
    As suggested, there's no need to guess. Find a good imported Belgian and compare for yourself. ;)

6. metalnerdsolid

metalnerdsolid New Member

It's actually quite good. High gravity is definitely a factor. High phenolic flavor and very malty. Definite fruit flavors thought I did add Pineape Sage to the mix. It's delicious and does a fair job of messing me up bit right. Abbey beers are amazing.

J A likes this.
  7. J A

J A Well-Known Member

Sounds like a nice beer. Congrats! :)