Is harvesting and washing yeast really worth the effort?

I try to brew beers in succession. Wet or dry yeast. So if the yeast is 029 Kolsch, I might make Kolsch, Alt, and Kolsch again. Likewise, if I use 34/70 in a Pilsner, I might also use it in a Common, and then in a lager. I tend to get three uses out of any yeast. Unless I don't.

I'm bad for using a different yeast almost every time. I have 6 different ones I think in the fridge right now and instead of using the same one a few times in a row I'll often put it back in and pull something else out to use.

I’m planning on using the same type of yeast for my next two batches. I have a brand new Wyeast smack pack. My plan was to make a starter and then split up the starter into 2 mason jars. 1 I’ll use the weekend and the other next weekend. Would this be correct?

Blonde ale 5 gallons - 1.053
Needs 186 billion cells

SESH- 1.047
Needs 33 billion cells

114 gram starter with 1 liter
Makes 260 billion cells

Pitch 860 mL to Blonde
Save the rest for SESH in an airtight mason jar

I’m planning on using the same type of yeast for my next two batches. I have a brand new Wyeast smack pack. My plan was to make a starter and then split up the starter into 2 mason jars. 1 I’ll use the weekend and the other next weekend. Would this be correct?

Blonde ale 5 gallons - 1.053
Needs 186 billion cells

SESH- 1.047
Needs 33 billion cells

114 gram starter with 1 liter
Makes 260 billion cells

Pitch 860 mL to Blonde
Save the rest for SESH in an airtight mason jar

I'll assume 0.75M cells/ml, which is what you posted for your first beer's pitch rates.

Your SESH beer needs 166B cells, not 33B.

2L starter @ 1.037 OG = 202g DME

In the blonde you would pitch 1.126L of starter.

In the SESH you would pitch 874 ml of starter (remainder of starter).

This assumes you overbuild your Blonde starter by 166B cells @ 0.75M cells/ml in order to have enough cells for your SESH.

I would do your starter, split the SESH portion into a jar (874 ml), crash the flask and the harvested portion. Decant both prior to pitching and pitch a small slurry rather than the large starter amount.

If you want to harvest yeast from starters, use this calculator: http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

Last edited:
Have been doing some research, going to harvest yeast from the batch I have in the fermenter.

Sounds great Craig. Let's see the finished product.

I will take pictures and put up a thread on this.

Does dry hopping cause any problems. I just stick pellets straight into the fermenter so there's a lot of hop material in the trub. Can I just store this in a sanitised jar and repitch? How long will it keep in the fridge? How much trub to pitch per batch (I usually brew approx 20lt)?

Does dry hopping cause any problems. I just stick pellets straight into the fermenter so there's a lot of hop material in the trub. Can I just store this in a sanitised jar and repitch? How long will it keep in the fridge? How much trub to pitch per batch (I usually brew approx 20lt)?
Others can chime in, as I don’t store yeast, but why not just grow a large starter for the next brew?

I have been watching yeast harvesting videos. Most of the hop material should settle out with the trub. I just added the dry hop addition to my NEIPA that I will be harvesting yeast from. I will take lots of pictures and post links the videos that helped me understand the process.

You can still use it, you just end up with more hop matter in the yeast slurry. Harvesting off the starter is my preferred method to not have to worry about hops. It isn't the end of the world either way.

"Washing" yeast is generally done by using an acid wash, etc. Rinsing it with water is sometimes done, but it really doesn't help the vitality of the yeast.

What I do is rack the beer into the keg, then pour the trub into sanitized glass jars. A pint jar full of thick yeast is enough for an 11 gallon batch the next time. And usually I get at least four pint jars after fermentation. So yes, saving the yeast is definitely worth it for me.

I buy yeast about twice per year, spring and fall, and usually 2 or 3 strains. From one $8 pack, I can use it once in a 5 gallon batch (and a different strain in the other 5 gallons and then save that one too), and then use it in an 11 gallon batch, etc- for about 3 generations before I just have too much yeast in my fridge. I probably spend about $40 a year on yeast, or less. And I don't have to make starters since a pint jar is enough for 11 gallons.
So just put down a lager yesterday I'm going to try your slurry collection method a go. I've done this before for a beer or two but discontinued as I had a slight off flavour after a batch or two.

Back