Is 185 too hot for sparge water?

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Looking at a coffee urn at Costco for sparge water, it has a keep warm setting which is 185F.
Alternatively, I guess I could control it with an inkbird, will have to check the amp draw though...

If it did sparging at the end? Shouldn't be. You are done converting anyway.

When people fo decoctions they use boiling water.

Not really. You’re mostly worried about tannin extraction from the grain. Not only does the temperature need to be high, but the mash ph needs to be above 6 or so. Adding a teaspoon or two of 88% lactic acid or 85% phosphoric acid to the sparge water will keep the mash pH in check during the sparge

I always acidify my sparge water, the boil pH gets closer to my target of 5.1-5.2. Most times I have to drop the wort pre-boil pH by adding acid to the boil.

I always use 180 degree sparge water. No worries about tannin extraction because I batch sparge and the hot water isn't in contact with the grains long enough to bring out the tannins. Go for it.

All that being said, measure the 185 before using it the first time. It could be off a bit.

You can always add cold milk to your coffee to cool it a little...:rolleyes:

By the time the water is dripped onto the grain bed, it's cooling somewhat. I heat my sparge water up to nearly 180 before transferring from the HLT to my sparge water grant. Over the course of the sparge, it cools in the vessel a little as well. I like the idea of keeping the grain bed and wort pretty close to mash out temp coming out of the tun.

I heat the entire amount before I mash in and my sparge water is whatever it is sitting at when the mash is finished, so I don't see why your method would be an issue.

FWIW STCs are good for 10amps but better if you can use your urn straight out the box. Enjoy

I heat my Sparge Water with an Immersion Cooker in my 3gal Igloo cooler. Normally 167 F. Pump out of Sparge Tank to top of Mash Tun & hold at least 10 min before draining into Kettle. I have rarely hit 170+ after switching to EC.

Back