Interesting....

Also, just in case you have not read. DO NOT overfill the bottles. They need room for the CO2. That is also why I like longnecks. I also don't mind sediment, so I have the wife put a "Mr. Skunky" sticker on top of the last bottle for the brewer:)

Ok, latest reading - Gravity @ 1.007 which is crazy as the beer is now supposedly at 6.8% ABV! (supposed to be 4.5%) Why is it so high?

Bubbling has settled down a lot but is still bubbling every now and again. Smells, amazing! Very hoppy. It's still very hazy and has a golden straw kind of colour. Tastes lovely and hoppy. Just like an IPA! I'm very happy with it. Has a slight TANG. Not vinegary at all. Just a tang. I'm curious if thats because its an extract? Or the extended period the hops have been left in? or finally the fact the alcohol content is so high as it was fermented at a higer temp (no temp control with this one). The instructions state 10+ days on this particular brew. Today is day 10. What do we think? Give it a couple more days and monitor?

Are you putting your hydrometer readings through a calculator to adjust for temperature? Since you brewed this from a kit, and I assume you started with the correct fermentor volume, I would not expect the actual alcohol content to deviate much from expected. Most likely cause may be measurement error.

The slight tang tang you are tasting could be "extract twang" but, I also wonder if it's oxidation. Every time you open the fermentor for a measurement you are letting in oxygen. The more you open the lid, the higher the oxidation risk. I'm not saying don't take measurements, just try to minimize it.

Are you putting your hydrometer readings through a calculator to adjust for temperature? Since you brewed this from a kit, and I assume you started with the correct fermentor volume, I would not expect the actual alcohol content to deviate much from expected. Most likely cause may be measurement error.

The slight tang tang you are tasting could be "extract twang" but, I also wonder if it's oxidation. Every time you open the fermentor for a measurement you are letting in oxygen. The more you open the lid, the higher the oxidation risk. I'm not saying don't take measurements, just try to minimize it.

I ended up using the spigot for the measurements, so that should've helped with oxidisation? also, no I did not use the calculator for difference. Think I should've done? There's a very good chance I didn't measure correctly :D

Bottled x40 500ml in the end. Used 3g of priming sugar per bottle. Bottled like a dream. Very happy so far. Also, side note, I sampled the brew today and it did taste lovely! I was quite surprised really. I'll open one up in ten or so days and see how she's aged. Very keen! Thanks for all your help guys and gals! :)

Temp can have an impact. 52F vs 68F for a 1.007 beer would have a 2 point spread.

It’s a little late but we started taste testing the brew last week…. There’s only ten bottles left! Everyone here loves it! The slight twang has completely settled since it’s been bottle aged. It tastes bloody delicious for an extract beer! Can’t believe it. Blown away by this, fantastic!

Attachments

• 25DC6451-20B3-4F74-9D63-3455361620CF.jpeg
    25DC6451-20B3-4F74-9D63-3455361620CF.jpeg
    149.7 KB · Views: 33

Back