Interesting....

Kgbow

Trial Member
Reaction score
Brewing a Get er brewed extract NEIPA malt kit....

Started fermentation on Thursday with a reading of 1050.. Todays reading was 1010 and tasted lovely! Still fermenting away like crazy. Temp was 5 degrees higher than it should be for the first couple days but has settled into a steady 22/23 now. The higher end of the required fermentation temp.

What should I do? Wait till the SG settles then bottle? I have some hops to add too which the instructions say to add on day 10 of fermentation. Wondering what would be best for the beer at this point... hmmm Never had a beer ferment this fast before.

kirk

The instructions also had two packets of yeast to throw in. Which I've never done also. I presume the fast fermentation must be the two packets of yeast?

You can prolly add your dry hops at any time. Most fermentation is done.

What kind of yeast did you use? My only concern with it going that low that fast is infection or wild yeast. But if there are no signs of it and it tastes good, you are prolly safe.

As for bottling, don't bottle until it is done. You don't want bottle bombs.

The instructions also had two packets of yeast to throw in. Which I've never done also. I presume the fast fermentation must be the two packets of yeast?
More than likely. Never used that much on a 1.050 ale. This wasn't a lager?

You can prolly add your dry hops at any time. Most fermentation is done.

What kind of yeast did you use? My only concern with it going that low that fast is infection or wild yeast. But if there are no signs of it and it tastes good, you are prolly safe.

As for bottling, don't bottle until it is done. You don't want bottle bombs.

It was American Ale Yeast... Lalbrew. It tastes really quite nice. A light IPA at best. I'm wondering if it is infected? But surely It would taste bad fermenting that fast if it was infected? Its bubbling away like it was two days ago. Two packets of yeast and a high fermentation temp must be the reason?

I re checked my brew log and it was at 1.059 OG
I would just be suspicious. That is crazy fast
Not impossible though. I have had ales get done in 5 days before.

I would just be suspicious. That is crazy fast
Not impossible though. I have had ales get done in 5 days before.

It does taste rather lovely. I peeked in the top and it looks like its fermenting just right. It has to be the two packets of ale yeast and the high pitching temp followed by two days of higher fermenting temp?

Two packets of yeast in a 1.059 beer with ferm temps 5°C over the yeast's happy zone.....I don't think you have an infection. Especially since you say it smells and tastes good. Worst case is you might have mild off-flavors from fermenting a little warm.

Agree with @BarbarianBrewer. That yeast at that temp can rip through things quickly. I don't think pitching two packets is a factor (I do that on most of mine nowadays). As for your hop addition, I'd toss it in now... I'm a fan of dry hopping near the end of fermentation. If it tastes lovely, you're probably good!

Agree throw them hops in now while there is some sugar left to vent off O2.

I'd say it's or a point or two from terminal Gravity another couple of days for the hops to do their thing will round this beer out nicely for you.

Just be careful opening the fermenter and taking samples this is what can actually do you in at this point:).

Ideal! I'll add the hops drekly, should I let it stay in the fermenting bucket a few more days then bottle condition?

Ideal! I'll add the hops drekly, should I let it stay in the fermenting bucket a few more days then bottle condition?
Yup ideally take a fg then another one in a few days 3 to be sure to confirm fermentation is done.
My guess it'll all be finished.

Yup ideally take a fg then another one in a few days 3 to be sure to confirm fermentation is done.
My guess it'll all be finished.
This!

If you bottle when active fermentation is still going on, make sure you put a large heavy blanket over them.

Yea…. I’m a little scared to bottle this one haha. I may give it a few extra days. Looking at the test tube today… I noticed it’s very active in the tube!

Yea…. I’m a little scared to bottle this one haha. I may give it a few extra days. Looking at the test tube today… I noticed it’s very active in the tube!
From recent experience, I would also advise to wait. Bottling before fermentation is done is at best a PITA and at worst a bunch of bottle-bombs, whereas leaving beer on the cake is no big deal (though the tip from Trialben on having some activity for dry hopping is also worth considering...).

From recent experience, I would also advise to wait. Bottling before fermentation is done is at best a PITA and at worst a bunch of bottle-bombs, whereas leaving beer on the cake is no big deal (though the tip from Trialben on having some activity for dry hopping is also worth considering...).

yup that’s the plan, I’ve thrown the hops in and now waiting for fermentation to complete. It’s smelling Gorgeous now the hops are in!

Brew update -

Gravity hit 1.009 and for the last two days been reading 1.008. Bubbling away quite happily in the bucket. Definitely calming down but only marginally. Test samples are very active within the tube, sedimenty still. Smells delightfully hoppy and the taste is only NOW starting to come through. Still has a distinct homebrewy taste but wondering if thats because its a malt kit? Either way it's not infected as it tastes good and smells good too.

NOTE - I'm wondering if I should've made a hop tea with the hop bags? Instead I threw the bags in the bucket as they are.

Brew update -

Gravity hit 1.009 and for the last two days been reading 1.008. Bubbling away quite happily in the bucket. Definitely calming down but only marginally. Test samples are very active within the tube, sedimenty still. Smells delightfully hoppy and the taste is only NOW starting to come through. Still has a distinct homebrewy taste but wondering if thats because its a malt kit? Either way it's not infected as it tastes good and smells good too.

NOTE - I'm wondering if I should've made a hop tea with the hop bags? Instead I threw the bags in the bucket as they are.

what I use. keeps the gunk from getting in the fermentor

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Ho...b-4904-b396-e7e7de7304fc&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mi

Back