Infected fermenter?

Amen any sanitizer that you have to rinse is a defunct product.

I see Harry brew uses Parasetic Acid on his final rinse.

T

The BTF Iodophor that I used was no rinse at the correct dilution
I use 5star. I just don't trust not rinsing and I don't trust my ability to measure correctly lol

I've literally only used Starsan for almost 4 years without incident so I suspect it was just a visual oddity more than anything.

Starsan will not kill yeast, iodofor kills anything. You just have to make sure you rinse unless you want to taste iodine
I think the more pedantic statement is that there is evidence that Iodofor kills most types of yeast. The manufacturers of star san haven't put the product through the same testing. Most yeast will certainly die in an acid solution. All yeast, maybe not. And at the manufacturer recommended dosage, who knows?

The surfactant in Star-San settles out into a stringy slime that can look like that. It's very likely that you don't have a mutant Star-San-resistant organism but rather just a break-down of the chemicals in the liquid.

Is this more likely with Star-san that is old or not diluted enough?

I have had some Star San go a bit funky like that after SEVERAL months

Is this more likely with Star-san that is old or not diluted enough?
Could be either. But it'll happen fairly quickly in the heat around my place. It may not mean that the Star-San has lost its ability to sanitize - pH is all that matters in that regard. Just swirling or stirring will usually get it all back in suspension. The surfactant doesn't have anything to do with the sanitizing power of the liquid but just makes it stick to surfaces long enough to have the desired effect.

Nice discussion thread here. I clean ASAP every time and break everything down - Nothing stays assembled. Dry and store covered. Tubing has been the only problem and PBW took care that and is now used on everything.

Listened to an interesting podcast where they walked through a set of experiments looking at how a wide variety of yeast respond to sanitiser, preservatives and temperature.

One of the tests was looking at how long the various yeast strains survived in a cleaned and sanitised container and then in a sanitised container (no cleaning). The sanitiser was a hydrochloric and peracitic acid mix. After 2.5 minutes in the cleaned and sanitised container only a few yeast survived, but scarily two were ones I use commonly, a diastaticus strain of sacch. cervesiae and brett. bruxellensis. None were still alive at five minutes.

In the sanitised but not cleaned container a few yeast were still alive when she stopped sampling at 20 minutes. Again diastaticus sacch. cervesiae and brett. bruxellensis were among the survivors.

The preservative section may be useful for those that play with them. My, probably oversimplified, memory was that sodium metabisulfite was the only one that really stopped the yeast.

Podcast - https://thebrulab.libsyn.com/episode-016-wild-yeast-contaminations-w-ronja-eerikinen
Paper - https://www.theseus.fi/bitstream/handle/10024/348696/Assessing Contamination Risk of Non-Conventional Yeast in Breweries.Ronja Eerikäinen.pdf?sequence=2

I think I may be sanitising a little longer than I usually do after my brett and saison batches.

Listened to an interesting podcast where they walked through a set of experiments looking at how a wide variety of yeast respond to sanitiser, preservatives and temperature.

One of the tests was looking at how long the various yeast strains survived in a cleaned and sanitised container and then in a sanitised container (no cleaning). The sanitiser was a hydrochloric and peracitic acid mix. After 2.5 minutes in the cleaned and sanitised container only a few yeast survived, but scarily two were ones I use commonly, a diastaticus strain of sacch. cervesiae and brett. bruxellensis. None were still alive at five minutes.

In the sanitised but not cleaned container a few yeast were still alive when she stopped sampling at 20 minutes. Again diastaticus sacch. cervesiae and brett. bruxellensis were among the survivors.

The preservative section may be useful for those that play with them. My, probably oversimplified, memory was that sodium metabisulfite was the only one that really stopped the yeast.

Podcast - https://thebrulab.libsyn.com/episode-016-wild-yeast-contaminations-w-ronja-eerikinen
Paper - https://www.theseus.fi/bitstream/handle/10024/348696/Assessing Contamination Risk of Non-Conventional Yeast in Breweries.Ronja Eerikäinen.pdf?sequence=2

I think I may be sanitising a little longer than I usually do after my brett and saison batches.
Yay for Sodium Metabisulphate glad I've incorporated that into my brewery!

Back