I'm stumped

Over The Cliff Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
The last few batches I have not come close to the recipe estimates. Since I do BIAB, I have tightened the crush on the grain, I've lower the efficiency while building the recipe. I'm using the estimated amount of mash water and volume to the fermenter etc. Generally I mash for 60 min. I can't figure out what is going wrong. The beers are coming out fine. Maybe I shouldn't hang my hat on this issue. Thoughts?

Post a recipe with water info so we can have a base

The last few batches I have not come close to the recipe estimates. Since I do BIAB, I have tightened the crush on the grain, I've lower the efficiency while building the recipe. I'm using the estimated amount of mash water and volume to the fermenter etc. Generally I mash for 60 min. I can't figure out what is going wrong. The beers are coming out fine. Maybe I shouldn't hang my hat on this issue. Thoughts?
Which numbers aren't you hitting? I have done BIAB exclusively for like 10 years.

I probably need to look at the set up. I have not done that for some time.

I probably need to look at the set up. I have not done that for some time.
Any chance you could do a screen shot of your equipment profile there maybe your losses are off..

You hitting your volumes into the fermenter?

Woops just saw your post @Sunfire96

That's key to hitting your targets

My meteric Biab equipment profile
Screenshot_20230512_122351_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230512_122400_Chrome.jpg

I'm guessing OG and efficiency?

This happens to me quite a bit. My brewing guru Chris tells me that far and away the biggest culprit in missed OG is mash temp. When I concentrate on mash temp, I get way closer to OG and to decent efficiency.

Could be plenty of other things as well though right? Very frustrating :)

Back