I'm Signing Out.

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Gday Brewers i come to the unfortunate conclusion that I'm giving up Hombrewing Altogether :(!

WTF you say!

Exactly it come as a shock and surprise to me as well but to put it bluntly as is my way in life I've been Abusing Alcohol alot of late and it's led to my demise at home and socially.

What started out and has continued to be an awesome hobby and creative outlet for my passion for hombrewing, great beer and sharing all there is about it with others has sorta led me down a path of self destruction.

Trust me you all see that Ben is doing alright image when behind the scenes it's a little bit messy here lady's and gentlemen and I've lost the ability to say NO when I should have and on one to many occasions I've ended up Black Out drunk. I won't go into details but I'm sure you're mind will fill in the finer details of what it means to wake up in the morning and not have any recollection of the previous evening proceedings! o_O:eek:.

So last Sunday I have err reached that line in the sand that one must draw in the sand if they want to have any dignity and I said to myself this has gotta stop I can't keep doing this to myself and my Family.

So as is my way in life I attack things with all I've got but unfortunately I'm also like that with alcohol I just can't say enough is enough!

As my Dad always said Ben your just like me Son one beer is too many and one more beer is never Enough.

Sorry everyone I hope you respect my Decision to step away from this beautiful hobby and you wonderful people but I gotta do what's best for me and my Family and leave now before i ruin it any further.

Keep on keeping on everyone.
I'll drop in from time to time to say Hi
I know you will understand where I'm comming from.

Take it easy, its been Fing Amazing being apart of this forum and getting to know you all

I'm gunna go find me another hobby lol;)

Last edited:
A bit hard to like but easy to understand.
I have looked forward to your GF brewing experiences due to my SO being Celliac.
Hopefully you can drop in and join in with the group.

That sucks bud, but I understand more than I probably should. May I recommend old project trucks or blacksmithing as a hobby? I have opinions about both of them.

It sucks you are bailing but I completely understand why and it's the responsible thing to do.

Cheers Marlon well atleast I showed you can do hombrewing as a Ceoliac ;).

There are good things comming in the Gluten Free side of brewing I feel like this is just the beginning.

Last edited:
That sucks bud, but I understand more than I probably should. May I recommend old project trucks or blacksmithing as a hobby? I have opinions about both of them.

It sucks you are bailing but I completely understand why and it's the responsible thing to do.
Thanks Hawkbox gotta do what's right for me and the Family I've bitten of plenty done plenty in the Homebrewing world unfortunately things wernt heading in a good direction in my private life and was i ld better get off while i can.

maybe I will give the metal fab a crack pretty proficient behind the MIG welder and stick welder did the Cer 3 in engineering as a young fella years ago introduced me to boilermaking...

Yup, definitely not something worth wrecking your home life over. I know a guy near Melbourne who has contacts in blacksmithing. I really like it as a hobby but you'll find something good. Take care of yourself eh.

Sorry to hear Ben, comes as a bit if a shock to me.
But yes, if it starts wrecking your life, then something gotta go.
I hope you keep pulling in here as you got a wealth of knowledge and I always enjoy your posts.
Even if you would just post in the bread and pizza threads. We'll even forgive you the pineapple on pizza.
Take care mate

Sorry to hear Ben, comes as a bit if a shock to me.
But yes, if it starts wrecking your life, then something gotta go.
I hope you keep pulling in here as you got a wealth of knowledge and I always enjoy your posts.
Even if you would just post in the bread and pizza threads. We'll even forgive you the pineapple on pizza.
Take care mate
Thanks it means alot.

Ah I've been walking that Tightrope for awhile just fell off one to many times only this time I've decided not to climb back on so to speak.

I've stared alcohol abuse in the face and saw what price it can take.
My wifes partner come and visited us back in 2018 she didnt sit down and have a beer with me once whilst she was here.
Well when she left we saw a couple of cask wine bags in The bin funny thing me or my wife didn't see her drink one of them while she was here. She's Dead now Because of the grog she chose that over life.

I guess what I'm saying is I want to stop while it's my choice. I've been Abusing Alcohol too much lately and I just feel like if I don't do this now things might just go the other way.

Hey I just baked a loaf tonight and gave a fellow brewer some advice on his ginger beer whilst I was out and about so it's not like I can't still lend a hand and share a word in your ear ;) ;)
20240411_193029.jpg

Sorry to hear that. The HB community definately lost a friend and a bank of knowledge today.

You have to put your health and your family first. It's just beer

Take care

High praise to the person that can stare down their demons and kick them to the curb. Bravo!

All the best to you and your family going forward. Hope to still see you around every now and again. I'll miss all of those great posts of yours about how you grew, harvested, germinated, dried, kilned, crushed, mashed and fermented your own grain...seemingly all in a weekend! :D

Good on you, Ben. Your passion and wisdom has been a constant here on Brewer’s Friend since before I joined some 5 years ago. Hopefully, you can get everything straightened out, and you can find a new hobby into which you can direct your enormous energies. May the future be bright for you and your family.
Stay strong, friend.

Hey Ben,
It's great that you can identify a problem and address it before it ruins you and more importantly those you love.
This won't be easy, more than likely the most difficult thing you may do in your life.
Know that you have an entire community here that can offer support for the more difficult stretches.
Not the same, but for me, quitting smoking was something that I struggled with for many years and I'm sure the best thing I did for myself.
I believe your determination will get you through and this will be in the rear view mirror at some point.
I wish you the best.
Cheers Brother!

Hey Ben,
It's great that you can identify a problem and address it before it ruins you and more importantly those you love.
This won't be easy, more than likely the most difficult thing you may do in your life.
Know that you have an entire community here that can offer support for the more difficult stretches.
Not the same, but for me, quitting smoking was something that I struggled with for many years and I'm sure the best thing I did for myself.
I believe your determination will get you through and this will be in the rear view mirror at some point.
I wish you the best.
Cheers Brother!
Had a hell of a time quitting smoking but have not touched a cigarette since 2006. Good for you Ben. Sometimes you got to do what you got to do. I love my beer, but my body tells me when it is time to stop most of the time. If you can't, your life is a hell of a lot more important, and it is wonderful you decided to do something about it.

Good luck Ben. Taking care if yourself and your family is job #1. You will be missed here.

We'll miss you. You've become a real friend (not such an imaginary friend!) and I wish you total success in whatever life brings you. Your family and your life is the important thing and thank you for being so honest about this. It's something all of us should take heed of and be aware of it

Good on you, Ben. Your passion and wisdom has been a constant here on Brewer’s Friend since before I joined some 5 years ago. Hopefully, you can get everything straightened out, and you can find a new hobby into which you can direct your enormous energies. May the future be bright for you and your family.
Stay strong, friend.
Cheers Herm it's been an Absolute Pleasure.

Back