I think it's stuck

ThomasShirk

Premium Member
Reaction score
Well I see a lot of stuck fermentation questions here on the forum so I'm hoping you all don't mind another one. In the past, I've always waited 14 days and then primed and bottled, and just assumed it was done as it would get at that point. However, my dear wifey got me one of these Brix/SG refractometers for my birthday so with my latest batch I'm trying it out.

I started sampling my previous batch right away and noticed it was at 1.025 (way higher than my recipe called for) but I just figured my OG might have been higher than called for since I didn't have the refractometer at the time I started it. This time I was taking samples from the get-go.

As you can see from my brew log, it dropped quickly from my OG (which was, I did note, higher than my recipe called for, even with some diluting) down to 1.025. And there it has stayed. Now, I should note that it's very subjective; the line has a bit of a fade to it, so today's reading of 1.024 might be accurate or yesterday's might have been the same, or today's the same as yesterday's. It's hard to tell, really.

It's odd to me that the SG is exactly the same as my previous apparently-stuck brew. I checked to make sure the refractometer was calibrated (just a hair below 1.000 with distilled water). After reading through some of the other stuck fermentation posts, I gave the fermentor a slosh in hopes that helps, but with my current readings I have a paltry 3.4% alcohol in there and if it is fermenting, it's going mighty slow.

Some things to note: first, I added Irish Moss to the last 15min or so of my boil. Just over half a teaspoon for about 3.5gal of mash. Second, I broke from my recipe with a different yeast. Instead of the Fermentis S-23 (haven't had much luck with that here in the New Jersey summer, even with air conditioning, and I have no room for a cooler), I used Lalbrew Voss Kveik ale yeast. Lastly, I added an extra ounce of hops to the dry hops than my recipe called for.

None of these things that I know of would account for my stuck brew, save maybe the Irish Moss dragging my yeast down maybe? Does anyone have any ideas?

Did you adjust the gravity calculation for the alcohol that's present?

Try this calculator and see what your FG looks like after conversion. That'll get you in the ballpark
https://www.brewersfriend.com/refractometer-calculator/

To be the most accurate, you'll need to figure out the wort conversion factor

https://www.brewersfriend.com/how-to-determine-your-refractometers-wort-correction-factor/

And this article is useful for overall refractometer use:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/2013/...rrectly-for-maximum-accuracy-in-home-brewing/

Last edited:
What @Sunfire96 said. The presence of alcohol will affect the refractometer reading. You'll need to use it in tandem with a hydrometer several brews to determine the wort correction factor. The more the better. I did that for a few brews and then said screw it and went back to my hydrometer.

If 1.024 is accurate that's high for a FG but it could likely mean it's done. Could be that your wort isn't as fermentable as you'd hope which with likely mean an issue with your mash. What temp did you mash at? Knowing the recipe and style might help a bit here. I'd wait and see how it comes out. If it's drinkable who cares? Might just be a little fuller bodied and a little lower alcohol than you had hoped

What @Sunfire96 said. The presence of alcohol will affect the refractometer reading. You'll need to use it in tandem with a hydrometer several brews to determine the wort correction factor. The more the better. I did that for a few brews and then said screw it and went back to my hydrometer.

If 1.024 is accurate that's high for a FG but it could likely mean it's done. Could be that your wort isn't as fermentable as you'd hope which with likely mean an issue with your mash. What temp did you mash at? Knowing the recipe and style might help a bit here. I'd wait and see how it comes out. If it's drinkable who cares? Might just be a little fuller bodied and a little lower alcohol than you had hoped

Thanks, Steve. As I told Sunfire, I don't have a hydrometer. If you're curious, though, you should be able to get to the recipe via the brew log link, right?

Thank you both. Would there happen to be any lists posted anywhere of known wort correction factors for known models of refractometers? I really, really don't want to lose so much beer to testing.

There's a permission error on the brew log, is your recipe set to Shared/Public? Have you tried the first link I posted with the alcohol correction? You just need to know the OG

Thank you both. Would there happen to be any lists posted anywhere of known wort correction factors for known models of refractometers? I really, really don't want to lose so much beer to testing.
It varies instrument by instrument unfortunately. Using 1.0 should get you fairly close. It'll be better than no gravity readings at least

Thanks, Steve. As I told Sunfire, I don't have a hydrometer. If you're curious, though, you should be able to get to the recipe via the brew log link, right?
I'd invest in one. They're really cheap, cheaper than your refractometer and they're good peace of mind. Requires a larger sample than the refractometer but if you're not doing real small batches it's not a killer. Plus as noted it's needed to dial in your refractometer. It's up to you. There's plenty of people that brew with no instruments at all. Just not my preference

I use my refractometer as a guide more than a good reading. if you take a reading after fermentation and wait a couple days and the reading is the same, its done. doesnt really matter what the reading is, as long as it isnt changing.

if you want something acurate, then a hydrometer or a good corrected factor for your refractometer would be needed.

I don't think you can share brew logs, just recipes. Sharing the recipe will probably help as it generally shows the latest batch details.

You drink the sample right? That's not waste! Haha

Back