I think I brewed a DUMPER!

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Yup this the consensus my unrefined pallet is telling me. Hey I know my hombrew but and I've brewed enough dodgey batches to know when things have gone sideways or do I hmmmmo_O?

So brewed this International Lager 2 weeks ago Short cuts and all yup it was a bit risky on this style.https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1314373/short-cut-lager
You know short mash short boil Gen 8 34/70 yeast fermented hot 18c ish under 10psi increasing to 15 at finish. What could go wrong right?
My idea here was a quick quafable easy drinking lawn mower lager.
20221002_132547.jpg

Things were looking fabulous in the sample on transfer day with a finishing gravity of 1.006 it was tasting nice and crisp and dry just what I was going for I was really excited to get a taste once this was carbed and ready to drink.

So what happened you ask?
Yeah well you mighta noticed I hadn't posted anything on this beer since transfer day because I think ivd somehow picked up an Infection

Yeah I drew a sample Wednesday evening a cheeky check in on how the burst carb was going and to see how this biofine stuff I injected it with was going.
Well up front it was tasting fine then after the swallow i tasted it:eek: what's that familiar foe!:mad: you oh no ok no worries I'll give it another day or two and will have a sample Friday after work.

Last night same thing head also dropped off quick and was hazy and there it is again on the finish that not quite sure sorta peppery maybe earthy taste exact opposite of what you want that inviting finish to be on a lite lager.

I had a lightbulb moment before hey that's the ginger Ninger beer Line I'm using! Maybe some of that pepper or earthy thing is from that ginger tainting the line?
Yeah I cleaned my beer lines but if you know any brewery they'll usually serve their ginger beers and such on different lines.

So I used my transfer line for a taste today and I'm convinced now it must be that ginger ninger line
20221008_123424.jpg

Yeah nothing pretty and yup recipe needs work but I'm not getting that finish on it now.
Yellow fizzy beer fits the description...

Maybe I've dodged it.
But one other thing I did do and this is still in the back of my mind as another source of tainting the flavour on this super lite nothing to hide behind but your brewing skills beer is I kegged it into my barleywine keg and I'm just wondering maybe this may be causing something as well. Maybe it needed a more thorough clean down...

Weird as I had two brand spanking new kegs to transfer into but I was thinking oh I've c02 purged that old keg already I don't wanna oxidise this by transferring it into a non purged keg.
Maybe it needs some lagering?
Maybe it's the cane sugar?
Maybe its the barleywine keg?
Anyhow enough said I'll let the beer the beer do the talking...

Last edited:
Fingers crossed that you rescue it. Hopefully a taint from the keg or the line rather than an infection, as you say there's nowhere to hide in those smaller/lighter beers.

Fingers crossed that you rescue it. Hopefully a taint from the keg or the line rather than an infection, as you say there's nowhere to hide in those smaller/lighter beers.
Yeah I'm hoping so gunna give it another week had a few tonight and I think maybe it's a bit green.

A few weeks seems to do wonders for the rough edges

Yeah just let it ride for a bit and I'm sure she'll be right.

Back