I might become a BIAB convert

I used about 6 gallons with a bag. I never worried about the grain to water ratio. Sparge with about 2 to get 7.5 preboil. I put the grain bag in a bucket on an upside down colander and dumped a gallon at a time over it.

Biab has a lot of upsides , I do squeeze my bag a little and have the charlie p sparge bucket rig .
I use 25 litres mash and 7 litres sparge and recently added a pump to recirc the mash

Go for it. I'm still relatively new to it, but it seems to give great results with very little equipment and not that much effort. Though I am doing 9 litre (almost 2 gallon batches)...

I almost exclusively do all grain BIAB, so I cannot compare to other methods such as 3 vessel brewing, but I see no reason to move away from BIAB .. It works too we'll.

A few things:
- I brew indoors on a 17,000 BTU natural glss flame. I think I get better control of flame and heat indoors. On rare occasions I will go outside for a batch on the 16G kettle.
- I use bags from Mike Wilser (wilserbrewer) In my opinion, these cannot be beat. Strong, kettle fitted, high quality voile .
- I crush with a Victoria hand crank mill (It's part of my brewing therapy).
-The crush is just right for about 80% mash efficiency. Even though it is not fine like flour.
- I don't squeeze much. I have a colander that fits on an old 5G starter kettle, and if I set the bag on there with a weight like a panini press, I get enough wort out of the grain to meet my needs. Pouring a cup or two of RO water through the draining bag is enough rinse IMO. If I didn't have the colander set up, I would do the Charlie P thing with 2 buckets.

Back