I brewed today!

I can break a whirlflock in half with my fingers pretty well, but a knife will make it easy. I use half of a tablet in a 5 gallon batch
Well, a knife I got. Been carrying one since I was 12. No point in hurting my fingers.

I was down in Oz visiting the missus just prior to her immigrating here and becoming the missus, and we had to go down to the local police station to have her biometrics done for the immigration paperwork. I was standing in the lobby chatting with one of the cops and realized I had my rather large 100th anniversary Buck knife in my pocket, which in Australia is considered a concealed weapon, and quite illegal. Not that I'm stupid enough to use it that way, of course. Decided it might be better if I go wait in the car, LOL.

Brewing a Scotch Ale.
20230918_134344.jpg

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1393281/big-red-willy-scotch-ale

Last edited:
My new brewer has been brewing mostly, so I haven't in a while.
Today I brewed a Helles.
Got in at 8:25, got mashed in by 8:45.
Everything went perfectly and wrapped up everything by 1:30.
Beautiful wort to the fermenter!
New malt in this so interested to compare it with others I have done.

My new brewer has been brewing mostly, so I haven't in a while.
Today I brewed a Helles.
Got in at 8:25, got mashed in by 8:45.
Everything went perfectly and wrapped up everything by 1:30.
Beautiful wort to the fermenter!
New malt in this so interested to compare it with others I have done.
So I guess your new guy is getting along well! Good to hear.

The "nuts about beans" was a happy accident!

It was a collaboration with a local Coffee roaster and the original plan was to brew a Coffee Kolsch.
Well, Brian (not me, the hired brewer is Brian as well) ended up putting peanut butter into it by mistake. The PB was supposed to go into a Porter.
We didn't have another place to go with the freshly roasted coffee, so in it went and we ended up with a Coffee/ Peanut Butter Kolsch. It's delicious and selling fast. A Happy Accident as Bob Ross would have said!

Last edited:
The "nuts about beans" was a happy accident!

It was a collaboration with a local Coffee roaster and the original plan was to brew a Coffee Kolsch.
Well, Brian (not me, the hired brewer is Brian as well) ended up putting peanut butter into it by mistake. The PB was supposed to go into a Porter.
We didn't have another place to go with the freshly roasted coffee, so in it went and we ended up with a Coffee/ Peanut Butter Kolsch. It's delicious and selling fast. A Happy Accident as Bob Ross would have said!
So probably not a traditional kolsch definitely not Reinheitsgebot:D

Back