How long dry hop

Vallka

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have a milkshake IPA (TiredHands clone) next up on my list. Is says to dry hop at 3 days. How long can I leave it after dry hopping. I usually let my beer sit in the carboy for 3-4 weeks min, is this to long to leave after dry hopping?

If you leave the hops in for 3-4 weeks, it's too long. If you dry hop at day 3 and leave it for a week or so and then rack to a secondary, you could leave it to age in the carboy. That defeats the effort to get maximum fresh hop aroma. You could try just waiting to dry hop until a week or so before you intend to package. Only risk there is that the beer is still and oxidation could be a little more of a problem than when there's still some fermentation activity.

Before kegs, I would dry hop for 5, maybe 7 days. Now, I dry hop the entire life of my keg. I don't get off or vegetal, or grassy flavors, but do think mine is best consumed in 3-4 weeks. It's never bad, just better.
I have a hop sock and suspend off the bottom. After transfer to keg, I leave it at room temp for a day or two and put in the fridge, carb and start consuming. Your style would probably be perfect for keg hopping.

2-3 days. Any more than that and you're likely extracting vegetal flavors.

Back