How long before re-pitching?

I'm honestly curious where most of the information comes from around the "must do" points people are making because I only ever see them made as assertions.

I'm interested too, so no argument. I learn something about this brewing thing every time I ask a question or pay any attention to the forum; discussion is all good.

I've re-packaged the 500gm into 10gm vacuum packs - what a fun evening that was!

Good point, I am only referring to initial pitch of dry yeast from Fermentis.
I can't comment on other dry yeast manufacturers, haven't met and had a beer with a rep from any other yeast manufacturer.

Steve
If you bought the 500 gram brick, beware that once you open it it needs to be handled a certain way.
Following link is their Q&A section on their website.
There is also Q&A about re pitching here.

https://fermentis.com/en/tips-n-tricks/questions-and-answers/

That whole Q&A section is very interesting.

I'm honestly curious where most of the information comes from around the "must do" points people are making because I only ever see them made as assertions.
There are a number of "must-do" actions out there that I now ignore. Some come over from commercial brewing where the scale of the brewing process dictates the action. Some are just things that have hung around.

Here's my list of "violations". Note that depending on the style of beer and scale of operations, these might be needed. It's just that I have found they don't affect the way that I brew.
-60 minute boil (nope, only 30)
-Secondary (nope)
-Re-hydrate yeast (nope)
-Oxygenate wort (nope)
-Remove hot break before it goes into fermenter (nope)

Things I take seriously
-Sanitation
-Fermentation temperature
-BU/GU ratio

Anyway, there are a lot of variables that can be manipulated with the result being good beer is made.

Rehydrating in warmed-up wort is the same as pitching the yeast directly into the fermentor. It's the sugar concentration that can damage the yeast. Just plain water is recommended for rehydration (boiled and cooled back to the recommended temperature), unless Fermentis has changed their guidelines since I last rehydrated a packet of yeast. I've had a couple of slow starts the past couple of batches, mostly lagers or cool-fermented ales, nothing to worry about. It'll still make good beer.
Fermentis have been slowly changing their advice over the last few years, so depending where you're looking they may still have the old advice up. They had quite a bit of pressure from pro breweries to see how they'd support direct pitch into wort. They say they've adjusted the drying process to support this and have done trials. What I'm seeing is they now believe that there is no practical difference between adding the yeast directly to wort vs rehydration. I think they still say that rehydration in water does have fewer cells dying during the process but it's now so low that the simplicity and lower risk of infection of just adding directly to wort is worth the small loss you get.

Hey Steve, I saw the ask about your fermentation lock being sealed but didn't see that answer as I assume you can't see what's happening inside whatever you are fermenting in. …..and item 2...when you rehydrated....was there any "proofing" activity that took place? Whatever the answer there, I see no harm what so ever in dropping another 11 grams into the batch...it would certainly tell you if you got a bad brick or not. My experience with 04 is that stuff takes off inside of 12 hours after I pitch so yeah...time to repitch is my call buddy!

Good point, I am only referring to initial pitch of dry yeast from Fermentis.
I can't comment on other dry yeast manufacturers, haven't met and had a beer with a rep from any other yeast manufacturer.

Steve
If you bought the 500 gram brick, beware that once you open it it needs to be handled a certain way.
Following link is their Q&A section on their website.
There is also Q&A about re pitching here.

https://fermentis.com/en/tips-n-tricks/questions-and-answers/
Just read that fermentis link there Craig cheers was great to 're read over learnt a bit in the rehydration section in water vs wort. Cool

Hey Steve, I saw the ask about your fermentation lock being sealed but didn't see that answer as I assume you can't see what's happening inside whatever you are fermenting in. …..and item 2...when you rehydrated....was there any "proofing" activity that took place? Whatever the answer there, I see no harm what so ever in dropping another 11 grams into the batch...it would certainly tell you if you got a bad brick or not. My experience with 04 is that stuff takes off inside of 12 hours after I pitch so yeah...time to repitch is my call buddy!

I can't see what's happening but can draw off some wort for testing. It's a 70lt batch so I really, really don't want to dump it. I had re-packaged the yeast into 10gm vacuum packs so pitched another three packs directly into the fermenter and it's taken off so I'm calming down a little.

Our supply lines have gummed up pretty badly and some prices have gotten a bit silly as well so I'm pleased that I bulk purchased last month, was a bit jumpy about the yeat though so really pleased to report that we do have fermentation! I'm a fan of S-04 and it's never done this before. I felt that I had followed the guidelines but the guidelines seem a little hazy and experience in real time is far better. Pitching straight into the wort is the way I will go now.

I can't see what's happening but can draw off some wort for testing. It's a 70lt batch so I really, really don't want to dump it. I had re-packaged the yeast into 10gm vacuum packs so pitched another three packs directly into the fermenter and it's taken off so I'm calming down a little.

Our supply lines have gummed up pretty badly and some prices have gotten a bit silly as well so I'm pleased that I bulk purchased last month, was a bit jumpy about the yeat though so really pleased to report that we do have fermentation! I'm a fan of S-04 and it's never done this before. I felt that I had followed the guidelines but the guidelines seem a little hazy and experience in real time is far better. Pitching straight into the wort is the way I will go now.
Great news Steve!

It's a 70lt batch so I really, really don't want to dump it.

Oh yeah....I can totally relate to that! Crap! I can't bring myself to dump a 1/2 case of a blonde that was fine until I bottled it..I keep telling myself I'll use for grass fertilizer and slug bait! Glad it finally took off!

I'm interested too, so no argument. I learn something about this brewing thing every time I ask a question or pay any attention to the forum; discussion is all good.

I've re-packaged the 500gm into 10gm vacuum packs - what a fun evening that was!

So you spent 10 hours doing it?

There is really very little a brewer "must" do. There are a lot of "shoulds", several "mays" and a lot of "don'ts".

Absolutely, and I question where those come from too. It work in IT and there is a lot of cargo cultism that may have been relevant 10-15 years ago but isn't anymore. I see a lot of similar things in brewing and the same aggressive resistance to questioning those practices.

That's why I like this forum, we're pretty chill if someone wants to try upending the apple cart.

Oh yeah....I can totally relate to that! Crap! I can't bring myself to dump a 1/2 case of a blonde that was fine until I bottled it..I keep telling myself I'll use for grass fertilizer and slug bait! Glad it finally took off!

That half keg that you are disgusted with, but tossing beer is a sin right?

Back