Hops for

LaksenBaksen

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm pretty new to home brewing. I would like to make a recipe for fresh wheat beer, I can brew this summer.

I got a wheat beer recently called "Edelweiss snowfresh", it had strong flower notes and taste, it was like standing on a flowerbed. I want the beer from my own recipe to be a bit like it

- Does anyone in here have experiences with hops that have floral character? and is there anyone you can recommend? I am thinking of using "Hallertau mittelfrüh" myself.

I would also like to hear how you would add the hops. I expect to come in a little bit at the start of the boil for bitterness, and the rest in a hop-stand at 77 C for 15 min

kind regards

First, check the Brewer's website. They may tell you what hops they use. For floral, i think Crystal.

Tettnanger is a noble hop that will give plenty of floral quality. Hybrid noble hops like Hallertau Blanc can bring some interesting notes as well including floral and white wine.

^^^Saaz has a much more spicy bite with less floral quality than a lot of noble hops. It's not usually sought for lighter-flavored beers like a hefe. Tettenang is the hop most associated with Hefeweisen style beers.
To the OP, I thought of another couple of hops that you might research, too...Saphir and Opal are noble-cross hops that I've used before and they both offer a very mild spiciness, a little sweet citrus and a lot of floral aromatics.

Hi everybody and many thanks for the answers.

I'm thinking about using a combination of Tettnanger and Hallertau Blanc or Hallertau Mittelfruh

Wherever I might come to Tettnanger in early for bitterness and again late for aroma along with Hallertau Blanc or Hallertau Mittelfruh.

If I'm looking for a scented beer with a low bitterness. How would you recommend adding the aroma? because I am still so new that I have difficulty separating any of the techniques from each other, for example I know that both a "hop stand" and "dry hops" add aroma, I just do not know when to choose one rather than the other?

- And what are your thoughts on the hops? I'd rather not have it taste too spicy

Reactions: J A
Keep the bittering hop charge relatively low and use late additions to build whatever IBUs you need. Dry-hopping with some fruity/floral hops will give you what you want.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by late addition? 30-15 min? or after boil? :)

Late addition is usually anything with 30 minutes or less left to boil.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by late addition? 30-15 min? or after boil? :)
Yes, as Hogarthe says, latter part of the boil,preferably the last 15-20 minutes, depending on hops. Additions done after the boil is over - hopstand, whirlpool, etc - will add a little perceptible bitterness but mostly will contribute flavor and aroma. When you use late additions as a substantial portion of your IBU count, you get a lot of flavor and aroma along with it.
Most German style beers use only or mostly 60 minute additions since hop aroma and flavor are generally lower in favor of malt being the predominate flavor profile. The beer you seem to be after would benefit from more aroma and that will come from building plenty of your IBUs into the late additions.

Back