Hop bags or straight in?

I need to get into, but am too afraid to try just yet.
Nothing to it if you have good sanitation. At its simplest, just rack finished beer out, leaving yeast trub and refill right away with new wort, preferably a higher OG beer because of the massively larger colony available to ferment.

I've been repitching slurry now for the last five brews so far so good touch wood.

There are also lots of Youtube videos out there on how to harvest and clean yeast from a fermentation. It's not hard....

Ill post a pick later of my latest creation my slurry starter it is quite ugly and im going to pitch it all in :p.

I am wondering if there are any real advantages from using a hop bag, vs just tossing the hop pellets straight into the wort. I normally dump all the trub into the fermenter, so any hop debris will make it in there.

So far, I have used a hop bag for all the additions, but for the next batch, I'm thinking throwing the the aroma hop addition (about 5g worth) straight in.

Would there be any problems with that?
I´m using a tea ball holder for the hops during boiling or some tea bags (cheap ones). i think during boiling isnt a big difference because the wort is quite hot and extracting everything homegeneosly. I use a strainer to remove some of the particulate while transferring to the fermenter. I noticed that most of the particulate kept is from the hops.
I´m wondering if we Keep the hops in the Fermenter for such Long period 1-2 weeks, if it will develop the same grassy flavor as for dry hopping (not my experience, just read about it)
however for dry hopping, i´ve used bags and didnt get the Aroma i wanted. After tossing the hops loose in the Fermenter a whole Aroma developed as i wanted.
Good luck

Here is that slurry starter hard to believe itll make drinkable beer time will tell:).

20171103_165517.jpg

Here is that slurry starter hard to believe itll make drinkable beer time will tell:).

View attachment 2074
You will manage it. Die u See that guys in Australia that found a 200 Sears bottlr in the bottom of the See and harvested the yeast to re create an ale oft that time? ;)

You will manage it. Die u See that guys in Australia that found a 200 Sears bottlr in the bottom of the See and harvested the yeast to re create an ale oft that time? ;)
Yeah off Tasmania their a tough organism.

Back