Hop amounts in split boil

J A

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Do you sometimes do a batch that involves splitting a big mash into two pots for boil and if so, how much do you worry about splitting the hops into the exact same ratio? I usually try to be pretty specific, but it seems to me that as long as the same amount of hops is in contact with the same gravity wort for the prescribed amount of time, it shouldn't matter all that much. Even if all the hops went into one pot and the other pot was just boiled wort added back in, the IBUs would be pretty close. There could be some issues with wort concentration in high-gravity beers, but mid-gravity stuff shouldn't be critical.
Thoughts?

I'd imagine and not talking from experience here would be the same either way I see your line of thinking. If it were me I'd go equal hops wort into each pot.

assuming your using one fermenter just use the same percent of the first vessel

Reactions: J A
I had a 2 to 1 split for the batch today and I just eyeballed the hop additions. For a beer that's not particularly hoppy or bitter, the IBUs should be pretty close even if all the bittering hops went into the larger portion of the batch.

Back