Hop additions at certain times,good article

I have been leaning in that direction. For beers where I want some noticeable hop character, I think the bittering hop followed by the dry hop works well. I wait and add the dry hops after the beer hits FG. There is some anecdotal discussion that this will keep the hop oils from being vented out through the airlock.

The article sums up what I have learned by trial and error. I find myself adding 60 min boil hops, hops when closing the fermenter, and at FG for ~5 day before bottling. The hops odors is most certainly noticeable the first two days of active fermentation. The question I have now is if my aeration of the cooled wart is to much and oxidizing hop oils (compressor and 4" bar aquarium stone).

While the most efficient use of kettle hops may be in the whirlpool additions, I submit that additions at different times tend to enhance and punch up certain aspects of particular hops. A great example is Simcoe. An addition at 20 minutes will give a nice level of earthy pine while the whirlpool additions really accentuate the mango/tropical flavors. And when balanced well, the dank pot flavor comes through nicely, too. It gives more dimension and complexity to the hop flavor overall as opposed to whirlpool only which can get a little cloying with some hops, especially if the malt flavor is heavy or is under-attenuated.
Of course, flavor is always enhanced by a good dose of dry-hopping to bring out the aroma to the fullest.

Back