Honey Wheat v. Honey

Medarius

Trial Member
Reaction score
Greetings all,
I brewed a Honey Weiss 60% Wheat 40% 2 row with a pound of honey added at end of boil. Turned out so good my wife, (who doesn't like beer supposedly :) ) drank half of it. Now getting ready to make another batch for her and was wondering if using a pound or two of honey wheat would add a similar sweetness that the clover honey did? Anyone good tips will be appreciated.

Honey malt is a little more cloying than honey. I make a honey amber with real honey, and a honey blonde with honey malt, a half pound for a 5 gallon batch. The recipes are almost identical otherwise. I like them both, and others do too.

Honey is mostly a simple sugar - fructose - and ferments completely, leaving a trace of floral aroma and not much honey flavor. Honey malt leaves behind a sweet flavor reminiscent of honey, although which kind is never specified leaving me to assume they mean clover honey. I generally don't use honey, I can do the same thing it does with sugar unless I use tons of it, in which case I'll use honey malt.

Honey should thin the beer out a little just like sugar.

I can do the same thing it does with sugar unless I use tons of it, in which case I'll use honey malt.

??? Same thing it does, ?
Did you mean add sweetness, or just raising the OG with that extra sugar, ??
I am trying to bring out the honey flavor a bit more, (request from the boss).

Sounds like it's time for beer experiment. Need to make one batch with Honey and another with honey malt and see which she prefers. Great excuse to brew twice in one week. :))

3.5# weyerman wheat
2# 2 row (2nd Batch)
.5 # Honey malt (Wild flower Honey)

Tettnanger for 60mn
Mittlefruh for 15min

Wy 3068

Thanks for responses all

??? Same thing it does, ?
Did you mean add sweetness, or just raising the OG with that extra sugar, ??
I am trying to bring out the honey flavor a bit more, (request from the boss).

Sounds like it's time for beer experiment. Need to make one batch with Honey and another with honey malt and see which she prefers. Great excuse to brew twice in one week. :))

3.5# weyerman wheat
2# 2 row (2nd Batch)
.5 # Honey malt (Wild flower Honey)

Tettnanger for 60mn
Mittlefruh for 15min

Wy 3068

Thanks for responses all
Honey, fermented, does not add sweetness. It raises the OG but lowers the FG, just like any other simple sugar. Use honey malt and a very floral hop like Willamette or Crystal. Honey itself is mostly fructose, some water to make a syrup and any aroma compounds from the nectar that survived. If it's a really strong honey, some trace of the flavor might come through. But I like your approach: Try it and see what you get!

Just got ingredients for double brew day. Also went to hardware store and built another wort chiller .. total cost $13.64. Lil lady said she wants to learn how to brew, so she is helping. Be nice to have a clean up helper :))

Honey Hefe - All Grain Weissbier Homebrew Beer Recipe - Brewer's Friend

Second batch will be Wildflower Honey late addition, no honey malt.

Last edited:
You need to share the link, not copy your edit link. ;)

Nice, your mash out is more sophisticated than I do but looks good.

Back