Homebrew or Pro brew?

Maibock for lunch?
eu9NHRC.jpg
Ha ha! Beautiful I'm blown away rebeb love your work Man;).

I'm pretty lucky in that the brewmaster at one of our local breweries lives next-door to me and is a good friend, so I drink plenty of his beer and it's because he just brings it over to my house. Good free beer is always great and the beer He brews it's really good. But I also drink plenty of my beer. So I would say I'm primarily home brew.

Some weeks (even months) I only want homebrew, other times I like a pro brewer's offerings in between.

What do you say? Do you have a mix of commercial and homebrews on hand?
Yet another great topic Yooper!

I'm pretty lucky in that the brewmaster at one of our local breweries lives next-door to me and is a good friend, so I drink plenty of his beer and it's because he just brings it over to my house. Good free beer is always great and the beer He brews it's really good. But I also drink plenty of my beer. So I would say I'm primarily home brew.
I need a neighbor like that! Sounds perfect.

Call it a case of "Cellar Palate" but I lean toward the homebrew because I tend to like it more than the pro-brew, there are no nitrates in it plus, as a self proclaimed cheap bastard, it costs less! For the most part the only thing I get from the pro stuff is 2 fold in that I can try something new that I may want to replicate or have a for a reference. Now I know what people are talking about when they reference Pilner Urquell and Bud in the same sentence; oh yeah, and free bottles!

Call it a case of "Cellar Palate" but I lean toward the homebrew because I tend to like it more than the pro-brew, there are no nitrates in it plus, as a self proclaimed cheap bastard, it costs less! For the most part the only thing I get from the pro stuff is 2 fold in that I can try something new that I may want to replicate or have a for a reference. Now I know what people are talking about when they reference Pilner Urquell and Bud in the same sentence; oh yeah, and free bottles!
How do you work that magic: Homebrew that costs less than store bought? :)

That's the only way I could make the math work.

Reactions: J A
Don't count equipment or labor!!! :D :D :D

DING!

Here in Pennsylvania, where we are just getting out of the beer sales laws that were created just after the 21st ammendment was passed, the then Governor Pinschod (sp?) who was a "dry", created laws that built in economic barriers to entry for liquor sales where you could only buy beer in case lots that is highly taxed that you could only buy at a beer distributor's case store. Here a 24 case of 12 oz. Yueglings is about $28 and my average tab for a 5 gallon batch is $25 to $30 yielding somewhere between 50 to 52 bottles.

DING!

Here in Pennsylvania, where we are just getting out of the beer sales laws that were created just after the 21st ammendment was passed, the then Governor Pinschod (sp?) who was a "dry", created laws that built in economic barriers to entry for liquor sales where you could only buy beer in case lots that is highly taxed that you could only buy at a beer distributor's case store. Here a 24 case of 12 oz. Yueglings is about $28 and my average tab for a 5 gallon batch is $25 to $30 yielding somewhere between 50 to 52 bottles.

Our equivalent is at least 2-3 times that price. So I think I can include labour and amortise those equipment costs and still come out ahead. Though if I keep buying equipment like I have been I may have to be a bit more creative on the equipment costs (that keg looks pretty, I'm sure it works as a sculpture. Right?).

Likewise. Another way of looking at it is the price of a case of craft beer doesn't include the joy of making your own!

This is starting to sound like an American Express commercial........" a case of craft beer, good....2 cases of Homebrew? Priceless!

I mostly drink "probrew" as I don't get to brew enough and wind up giving away/sharing what I do. A guy recently asked me how much it cost to make a batch.... Then when he saw my eyes roll up to crunch numbers he quickly added "don't include the cost of equipment" (he tuna fishes and knows a set up costs money initially).

It was when I answered his question that it hit me! I need to brew more often! 25-50 bucks for 5 gallons! I spend that in a mere gallon of craft beer! Needless to say, I now have two beers ready to keg tonight and hope to brew 2 - 3 batches over July 4th weekend!

Just a note to this discussion, with doing larger batches (over 5gal) I don't need to find time as often so the timesaving comes into play too. We very much enjoy walking up to the tap and pulling that handle even when a day has been a rough one because you remember a good day when that IPA hit it's numbers perfectly. I was doing 20gal batches with 2 mash tuns and 2 boil kettles and the fun turned into a complicated brew day with less enjoyment. Doing simple 10gal batches takes same time as 5gal with twice the reward as standard 5gal. We have more homebrew to drink, enjoyed brewing it and I guess saved a bit of propane. When I feel adventurous I still try 20gal but only to make more beer in less time. It's not as much fun.

Back