Home Reno Projects

IMG_20220830_192256599.jpg
IMG_20220830_192238487.jpg
IMG_20220830_192228159.jpg

Bathroom and hall

Are you putting up vapor barrier and I am just not seeing it?

Nothing in Brian's ballpark but here I'm doing some rewiring in preparation of the professionals coming in with new cabinets. Worst part was getting up in the attic to pull BX cable (wiring encased in a metal sheath). And after the cabinets are in I'll replace the floor with vinyl plank flooring.

Kitchen east wall wiring.jpg

If you look closely you can see my daughter's message to any future remodelers. Her original plan was to put a skeleton in the opening with some humorous or scary sign. That plan fell apart when she checked the cost of a full size skeleton! :eek:

Nothing in Brian's ballpark but here I'm doing some rewiring in preparation of the professionals coming in with new cabinets. Worst part was getting up in the attic to pull BX cable (wiring encased in a metal sheath). And after the cabinets are in I'll replace the floor with vinyl plank flooring.

View attachment 22266

If you look closely you can see my daughter's message to any future remodelers. Her original plan was to put a skeleton in the opening with some humorous or scary sign. That plan fell apart when she checked the cost of a full size skeleton! :eek:
Rock lathe and plaster makes for strong walls. Be careful with the metal mesh in the inside corners, that stuff will tear up your hands!
Looks good.

Rock lathe and plaster makes for strong walls. Be careful with the metal mesh in the inside corners, that stuff will tear up your hands!
Looks good.

Those walls are indeed strong. I hate to replace any of it. They are made of a regular drywall board (left) over which is installed a plaster/concrete mix (right). It was advertised as a fire blocking material. Years ago my wife wanted crown molding in the living room. To make the job easier I rented an nail gun. Didn't work because the finishing nails I used couldn't penetrate the plaster/concrete portion of the wall. The nails just bent when they hit the wall!

upload_2022-9-12_11-56-46.png

Those walls are indeed strong. I hate to replace any of it. They are made of a regular drywall board (left) over which is installed a plaster/concrete mix (right). It was advertised as a fire blocking material. Years ago my wife wanted crown molding in the living room. To make the job easier I rented an nail gun. Didn't work because the finishing nails I used couldn't penetrate the plaster/concrete portion of the wall. The nails just bent when they hit the wall!

View attachment 22272
The board on the left is rock lathe. It's similar to drywall in construction, but doesn't have a smooth side like drywall and is only 16" × 48".
The rough finish grabs and holds on to the rough( brown) plaster that is extremely hard and a base for the finish(white ) plaster.
So a 2 coat application after the rock lathe is all installed.
The rock lathe proceeded drywall and was after the wood lathe was used.
I've worked with all of them over the years, and the rock lathe and plaster is by far my favorite.

Hung about 1000 SQ ft of ceilings yesterday in just over 6 hours.
I was beat today!

View attachment 22266

In my part of the country bx is not allowed for residential applications.

Back