Help with recipe - sparge step?

guyute

Trial Member
Reaction score
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/305918/cal-common

I'm set to brew this today. But I just noticed that the recipe does not distinguish the amount of strike water vs sparge water. I don't understand if the recipe is saying that sparging is not intended to be done after the first drain to brew kettle. Is that ever the case? It just gives the starting mash thickness (2.95 qt/lb) and says vorlauf as necessary. Is that it? No sparge step?

Vorlauf is when using a mash tun your run some wort out through the bottom drain to "set" the mash bed and get wort running clear not neaded if BIAB brewing.
I wouldn't worry too much about this guy's mash schedule just go with what works with you and your systems brewing profile. If you've dialed in your brew system you can use the quick water profile to help work out what sorta water volumes are needed to reach your desired fermentor volume.

2.95 quarts per pound is a lot of water for the mash. With that level of dilution, you should be able to just drain the wort. I would stir it a bit before you drain to further dissolve any converted sugars.

On the other hand, just go with Trialben's suggestion and put together your own mash schedule, using what has worked for you before.

My typical mash schedule includes a main conversion rest at 1.25 qts/lb, almost always an infusion to raise temp for a dextrin rest and then an infusion and mashout which brings the total to between 2.8 and 3 qts/ lb. After that there's still at least 30% of the total mash liquor left for sparging (fly sparge in my case).
You have to figure out your own mash schedule based on your system and process.

Back