Help with brewer’s Friend???

William257

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello I have a question about sparging amounts using Brewe’s Friend see here my problem https://i.imgur.com/v39Jtkw.png see here in the picture it showing that I need to Adjusted starting boil size 7.16gal but I Thought that brewer’s Friend is supposed to calculate this for me.

Yes, that is the boil size to start with the losses listed first. It is calculated for you, and that's what you should have if you entered your equipment and losses in correctly.

That^^^ Your chosen or default equipment profile is telling you'll have certain losses and you'll need to start with a certain volume to get your desired outcome. If you don't know the variables in your system, keep track of volumes while you're brewing a few batches so you see where your water/wort/beer is going during the process. When you get a good idea of your process and losses, you can dial your profile and the calculator will nail it for you. It's only as good as the accuracy of the parameters you give it when it comes to water requirements. ;)

Back