Help with a 1-gallon batch

I find its easier to dry hop w/ hop cones, as they tend to hold together better. The pellets turn to mush. Of course I dry hop in the keg so I want to be able to pull them out. If you plan to rack out of a fermenter, you probably will be alright. I tried one time to put a couple hop pellets in the bottle when bottling. They disintegrated into particles, and after bottle conditioning, when the beer was opened, all that hop particulate matter swirled up with the CO2, and made a cloudy, vegetative mess.

That stout is a sweet looking beer! My last IPA I used both cones and pellets. Recipe here:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... sh-hop-ipa

I had fresh Crystal, the Centennial, Zythos and Citra were pellets (bagged). The actual amounts for 5.5 gallon are listed in the recipe notes. This mix gives a big hop nose, very floral, and the beer is very bitter (65 IBU) without tasting it. I've given it to non-hopheads and they like it. These are guidelines. Want more citrus, up the Centennial and Citra (I only used the Zythos because I had it lying around). Want more flowers? Up the Crystal. Want something completely different? Cascade is supposed to be good in IPAs or go rogue and dry-hop with Noble hops. It's your beer, have fun with it!

Bottled back on 10/21... Popped the first bottle tonight. Good stuff! Light bodied, not too excessive on the hops, very smooth, carbed perfectly. Day-yam!

Attachments

• 169396_10151272247205813_347828621_o.jpg
    169396_10151272247205813_347828621_o.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 837
Sluggo said:
I posted this on another forum with no answers as of yet, so I figgered I'd try over here.

My brother-in-law is a big IPA fan, where I'm not... He's coming to town in November and I wanted to do a quick 1-gallon batch for him, so I snooped around and found a simple extract with steeping grains recipe and attempted to scale it down using the tools on the site where I found it. Long story short, the scaling tool was crap, so I ran it past someone at my LHBS, and he came up with this:

2.5 oz American Crystal 20L
3 oz Carapils
2 lb LME
1 oz Cascade (pellet, flavor/aroma)
1 oz Chinook (pellet, bittering)
1 pkt Munton's Dry Ale Yeast

The original recipe showed an OG of 1.071 and an FG of 1.014, though I know with the tweaking we're gonna see something totally different.

I've admittedly never done a small batch like this, so I need to figure out two key things: the hop schedule and the starting water volume. :mrgreen:

So I'm flying by the seat of my pants here. Anyone care to share how they would proceed given the what I have to work with? :roll:

Check this site out. I found it quite helpful amd simple in scaling down my ingredients to make a smaller batch:

http://www.beoir.org/index.php?option=c ... &Itemid=47

Example: 'For a small scale batch you can use any recipe and just scale the amounts. This is done by multiplying the amount of each ingredient by your volume then dividing by the volume in the original recipe.
In the original recipe 2.27kg of dried malt extract is required for a 25 litre batch.
So in this 5 litre recipe we need (2.27x5)/25 = 454g which I round up to 450g.' :D

Back