Help fine-tuning Oatmeal Stout recipe

You accidentally wrote "emphatically". Pretty sure you meant "sarcastically".

Looks like you get the last word. Congratulations. :D :D :D :D

Not really sure what I'd done to upset you, or anyone here. Not really sure how a asking an innocent question lead us to this discussion. If anyone can explain this to me (but I mean really explain, not just telling me that I asked a question about an idea that I had about stout), I'd really appreciate it.

^^^^ What he said. Meaning JA.

Tal, we tend to be very patient here. You asked for advice, then proceeded to tell us all we were wrong. You posted in a beginner forum. If you're as well versed as your rebuttals to our advice would indicate, then you probably shouldn't be posting in this forum. This thread is beginning to resemble some of the infamous flame wars popular in some of the other brewing forums and I do not like that at all. At all. So my suggestion: Brew your damned beer, make whatever adjustments you'd like to make, and let the rest of us make our mistakes but I do promise you one thing: You will not have to rebut me again.

I agree wholeheartedly with nosy, I have been following this thread, it isn't everyone else Tal, it's you. Nobody here owes you anything. If you want advice, by all means ask for it, then take it or leave it.

Tal, we tend to be very patient here. You asked for advice, then proceeded to tell us all we were wrong. You posted in a beginner forum. If you're as well versed as your rebuttals to our advice would indicate, then you probably shouldn't be posting in this forum. This thread is beginning to resemble some of the infamous flame wars popular in some of the other brewing forums and I do not like that at all. At all. So my suggestion: Brew your damned beer, make whatever adjustments you'd like to make, and let the rest of us make our mistakes but I do promise you one thing: You will not have to rebut me again.
I'm pretty sure you'll see this as another rebuttal, but I hope you'll be able to trust me that it's actually me making an honest attempt to understand.
I actually read my comments again, to see what I did wrong. I couldn't find it. I really do want you to point me to these things.
You said that I told you you were wrong - I can't see where I did that. I couldn't find any word in my comments that in any way said that. I really would thank you if you point me there.
I asked questions about what you people wrote, but where did I say anything that hinted that I feel like I know better or that I'm well versed, or anything of that nature? Where did I say any of you were making mistakes?

Again, if I did anything wrong - I am truly sorry, and I truly want to understand it.

I agree wholeheartedly with nosy, I have been following this thread, it isn't everyone else Tal, it's you. Nobody here owes you anything. If you want advice, by all means ask for it, then take it or leave it.
Of course, no one owes me anything. Never thought anyone did. But why is it wrong to ask for clarification or elaboration when someone gives me advice? That's the only part that I fail to understand here (which is why I'm doing it again, in this very response)

Reading again, I did find one thing that I wrote which may be construed as me saying that you people are wrong: when I quoted from the BJCP guide.
I wasn't trying to say you were wrong. I was trying to clarify where I was hoping to get, using the quotes from the BJCP guide to illustrate that it might still be a valid Oatmeal Stout (and that even if it's not really - that's fine for me).

But, I'm pretty sure you guys are upset with me for something I wrote before that, because that was well after I had been accused of soliciting advice without being open to it, and of thinking that I can make a beer that's "better" than one by an experienced brewer.
So... again... I really do want to know what I did wrong.

BTW, it may seem like I'm trying to win an argument about who started what. I'm not. This is not the first time for me when I've upset people without knowing why or how. It's not the first time I've had where people felt like I was being condescending or acting superior, when I felt the exact opposite. So, I believe you that I did something wrong. I just REALLY have no idea what.

I'm confused as shit about what are all fighting about. If you want to make changes go ahead, but unless you've made it before you're not really going to know what kind of change that makes.

I make modifications all the time, but I also acknowledge I'm kind of winging it and may fuck it up.

Let's all just take a step back and relax.

Reactions: Aub
I'm confused as shit about what are all fighting about.
I'm also not sure how it turned into this. This what I'm currently trying to figure out, but I guess it's a lost cause.

If you want to make changes go ahead, but unless you've made it before you're not really going to know what kind of change that makes.

I make modifications all the time, but I also acknowledge I'm kind of winging it and may fuck it up.

Of course I may fuck it up. I'm asking questions to reduce the chance of that happening, and to understand if my understanding has any bearing in real life, but yeah - of course I might fuck shit up.

Well Tal bout time you got around to actually brewing it up and snapping a pic of this beer its going to be a beauty!

Well Tal bout time you got around to actually brewing it up and snapping a pic of this beer its going to be a beauty!
Brew day will probably be Tuesday or Wednesday. I promise to post pics.

Way ahead of you on that...I stopped wasting any more thought on this thing hours ago. :D :D

I'm sure there are, but does that mean that changing them will make the beer no-good (or less good)? Can't I make changes to a good recipe just to make it better for me?

What will it do to the beer?
And what about adding more oats for more creaminess? Not a good idea?

Really? I thought it just meant the opposite of transparent.
Opaque means exactly what you think it does. It means not clear, it' not a color or a shade.

Mash:
40659346_10156441979066007_4252943824147447808_n.jpg

FWH:
ex9oJQ54lXHQBsg_CgHMNlSFjKCh9OaxRCeuoJkvbO_XyWB8Zd2N3HalZaXcjMxZEAwU9ccX1vhmneYAUJndx4eziBgHOpyGM56SfeePRwdhdDjzvJTBVXTToJ2o0TerjCLMmzim6qABMO3kT0IfjuEHtsu06ZAPhcz8NgO_OE_ZW7PmiC_QAIVpsHxnViC-Jea9Ruup62LP-LjuCMma21TBZngSawXVHqK7VIXd1p8Oh_g240komDhxUC4MrSunqgBG-aiEYEtZF4ulPb2OeqBeV4xuVNbv2gAZhRjKUfvc66TsmDUOtmg-lDF3G72KQaQ8PJLu9tS8dkTDPZ3XIwZYmxo0Tp_Q21xlDEUpq7JU8Xk54dcPQjvl8Uca3uKHpAtYTgw_YMyCtbwohdIC3EN7UuujcW6HEf_wJ59oxi8Y5xO1vnzjr8EGafMFHknrTslC15Dq-LoDfIGwDEBZ7C8dsAGQP6HDfG4ITnwDUAVSUEXV-jqf6wCTD7meque3NKt6dQ5yROHtXq5LOs3YANQ0v92xbwyCOtzrwkkOBEkyq-xhTLSw-B6iJQf_3WdNl9Ps0u8Jk40hHQezBF5c9-Ds1dTicZAwjoe3_tPwWAQQu_WqYKojGTykQAUtia9d=w382-h763-no

Turkish Coffee?
IMYlencsNAyxEXKsp0XgIOkJM6fE_ejcrqL2aYlRhCUu52VgzhqZGvsNiLmAgnfv0R-fHW9MCSw8cI08mXw23R9GzbGfDN5ZmtusJBv9kabJ1PLJhP6BU4b8_iMyFMLo4BSqgo4q0FOHHqDjKP3nplONheGLofbZpvpoMmXY6P7O5lDNaLZosRT98-ABecsbllBTO35qFXK_5walH-TOI0aSWzhwMqC1O8IjmLnlVA0C2_Xcw17Rnm8CDzpJYJuI9DtuTc062n2zIaegwU7rl_WSFKLgN830w44ekBroVDFgohZcQjr4heJBSeIH4gtaTWRqp0np4u7oPLmAZBr-20JByOu07-4GevPrvIHTvQ0de1lc5h_o0Nqb117v8vqauyCNDQcl-8RyOGYvorL8e6QRSHY6gddJt9keadTd3tMvoyaDhiXKPHuV0igvGI2Uu2m-9ytiH4bAr-6eSgx8YD_cWIsK-gGrfpc4VlFDweTwQ0O5RyPm43bcQ20l9QhufXH9AfmUptXRTKw9KYiPzGG0onbhq6wBd5SPTYzx06_zsikfdIQcUVhWJw1JWcBM5iawYOaDv8hwnIp6vfCKem9R56Javd2Wl1ljGsnq1TZFYjxXXAm0aS9K2-lpc5Cu=w382-h763-no

Back