Hello from Minnesota!

Welcome, similar tastes here. Although I have far more primitive production equipment and have only ever used kits, I love looking at photos like those you posted. I don't even have a camera or mobile these days so there is no way I'll be uploading anything for the foreseeable future.

I have Brown Ale in my solitary 5 gal keg for Christmas, from an budget range extract kit I brewed in June. Made it a few times, always good results, tastes very much like what you get Sunderland-Durham area - a soft texture unsurprisingly nothing like that commercial stuff associated just up the road from there which I never rated even in the days when my work took me into pubs regularIy and it seemed so popular.

Had lots of problems with kegs this year after initially hitting on what I thought was the final piece of the jigsaw: 2 gallon kegs. When everything goes smoothly these are just right for me as I aren't a big drinker either. Sadly less than happy with their reliability compared to the 15 year old one referred to above (made by the firm that the manufacturer of these took over ahem). I am not quite over the general disappointment. The inconvenience and time spent far outweighed the cost side. I am experimenting with mini-kegs (5Litre) but not actually tried any of my efforts yet - quite close now though - one (Norfolk Golden Ale) in fridge as I write. I more often bottle these days - I find it therapeutic, slows me down, taking more loving care over it the older I get.

Stout is my favourite too! There are periods when this is all I have drank beerwise. Not had many variants as I hit on another (different) budget range coming to my rescue after my favourite disappeared and I went without homebrewed stout for years. I have varied the contents quite flexibly but I have produced a clone of the one they drink down in Cork.

Done heavy once which I split between keg and bottle, the bottles suited it more and will definitely repeat that. I have had Scottish Export quite often, reminds me of Braemar. Only wrote in my diary yesterday; rough outline schedule of various beers and ciders up to end of 2023 then 2024 simply; 'Scottish Beers Special' when I plan to be expanding on my experiences. One area I shall be actively looking up here too. Only made Porter once and it was wonderful, again, London, snap. Just repeat ordered that one this week as it was on special offer - always great when it is something you already know and like.

Back