Hazing

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by thescotsman, Aug 3, 2016.

1. thescotsman

thescotsman New Member

Hi all

I have a problem where no matter what I try my ales always have a slight hazing.

I use a Grainmaster which means I can cool wort very quickly and I have temperature controlled fridges for primary and secondary. I have run secondary for three weeks plus, yet the perfect crystal clear beer illudes me.

Any ideas?

2. Ozarks Mountain Brew

Staff Member

IT Managment
    I would suggest a whirlfloc tablet at the end of your boil and gelatin after when the finished beer is chilling, those 2 will definitely clear the beer

3. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

I'd also suggest moving the thread. Invoking awesome moderator powers....

4. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

Do you have any off-flavors to indicate something other than proteins might be going on? One problem that's kind of interesting on these lines: You will get more haze from a perfectly "clean" wort, that is, one with little or no kettle trub, than one that has some trub in it. Yeast selection might be a problem as well - if you're selecting a less floculant yeast, you won't get a clear beer. Kettle finings, as Ozarks suggests, might be a way of getting less haze. You could also use gelatin or isinglass to clear the beer after fermentation.... There are lots of possible causes - can you give us more information?

5. artbreu

artbreu Member

Does it look clear until it's cold and then it turns hazy or is it just cloudy all the time?

6. J A

J A Well-Known Member

What about boil strength? There's plenty of internet chatter about a strong rolling boil being necessary for proteins to sufficiently bond and fall out of the wort. I don't know if there's a definitive connection. I've gotten different views from different brewers I know.
    I've had some beers that seemed to clear very well and some that have stayed a little hazy. I haven't recognized a regular pattern, but a couple of beers that didn't get a good mash-out and had a 90 minute boil have taken quite a while to clear.
    I'm leaning toward a relatively low mash temp, appropriate dextrine rest, good mashout temp and duration, careful lauter and sparge, relatively vigorous boil and whirlfloc addition as a regimen to try to insure clear beer.