Has anyone used a Grainfather S40?

Can confirm it does hold temp pretty well. I wish it was a 3000W unit instead of the 2300W but for the price I am fine with it. I was going to brew today but it's 30C and I can't be bother to.
I mean you can always buy a 1000W immersion heater to get it up to temp quicker and then let the 2300W do the rest. 2300 will maintain a boil no problem.

Oh for sure, I have a couple 1500W heat sticks too if I am truly impatient.

I recently purchased the S40, coming from a BIAB setup. I've kept my grain crush size the same but ditched the bag and just put the grains directly in the basket.

I'm getting ALOT of protein material in the bottom of the kettle after the mash/boil.

What would be the best way to avoid this? Should I continue using the bag in the kettle or increase my grain crush size to try and avoid the grain from going through the basket? Thanks.

I recently purchased the S40, coming from a BIAB setup. I've kept my grain crush size the same but ditched the bag and just put the grains directly in the basket.

I'm getting ALOT of protein material in the bottom of the kettle after the mash/boil.

What would be the best way to avoid this? Should I continue using the bag in the kettle or increase my grain crush size to try and avoid the grain from going through the basket? Thanks.
Is it protein or just glouped up flour from the mill?

Is it protein or just glouped up flour from the mill?
I believe it's glouped up flour. I've tried to manually whirlpool with no success. I was thinking on adding in a side pickup tube. If I can eliminate most of it and not have a gallon of gunk in the bottom of the kettle that would be the ideal solution.

I believe it's glouped up flour. I've tried to manually whirlpool with no success. I was thinking on adding in a side pickup tube. If I can eliminate most of it and not have a gallon of gunk in the bottom of the kettle that would be the ideal solution.
A gallon? I usually get some on my biab set up, but it's less than a cup.

How fine do you crush?

A gallon? I usually get some on my biab set up, but it's less than a cup.

How fine do you crush?
That's the thing, this is when I'm not using the bag. In my old kettle with the bag I would barely get anything like you say.

My local homebrew shop crushes the grains for a BIAB setup. I'll I'll to get in contact with him to see how fine the crush is.

That's the thing, this is when I'm not using the bag. In my old kettle with the bag I would barely get anything like you say.

My local homebrew shop crushes the grains for a BIAB setup. I'll I'll to get in contact with him to see how fine the crush is.
I suspect the bag has a far finer mesh than the brew basket. Adding the bag will filter more gloop out, but at the risk of a stuck mash (which is only relevant if you recirculate). There are many ways around a stuck mash though...

If it's in the bottom of the kettle than its not in the wort.
You would of had recirculation issues if the crush was too fine.
I wouldn't sweat it.

If it's in the bottom of the kettle than its not in the wort.
You would of had recirculation issues if the crush was too fine.
I wouldn't sweat it.
I am getting alot being transferred over to the fermenter as well. The valve is pretty low on the S40, so that probably doesn't help.

I'm wondering if I went with a slightly larger crush on the grains to try and keep most of it in the basket would it effect my brewhouse efficiency. I'm sitting around 65% right now as I'm still trying to dial in the new system.

I am getting alot being transferred over to the fermenter as well. The valve is pretty low on the S40, so that probably doesn't help.

I'm wondering if I went with a slightly larger crush on the grains to try and keep most of it in the basket would it effect my brewhouse efficiency. I'm sitting around 65% right now as I'm still trying to dial in the new system.
Yeah sounds reasonable I hear grainfather uses a wider crush setting "coarser crush".

Experiment see what fits you best.

I've found a killer deal on one of these in that I can't upgrade my current home made setup for the price of the S40 but I haven't seen a lot on them. I'm a bit concerned about the 2300W element as right now I use closer 3200W and it takes a while to get to a boil. Anyone used one of these and have anything glowing or terrible to say about it?

Would be nice to simplify my current setup.
Now that you've had the S40 for a while, do you like it? I am thinking of getting one (its on sale for the same price you paid) and I would be interested if you have had any issues with it .

I'm pretty happy with it, for the sale price I say definitely go for it. One thing I did was use a brew bag in it instead of the mash tube or whatever it's called and made a big difference in efficiency.
Also I use a hop spider because I plugged the pump really easily with hops.

Back