Has anyone used a Grainfather S40?

Hawkbox

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I've found a killer deal on one of these in that I can't upgrade my current home made setup for the price of the S40 but I haven't seen a lot on them. I'm a bit concerned about the 2300W element as right now I use closer 3200W and it takes a while to get to a boil. Anyone used one of these and have anything glowing or terrible to say about it?

Would be nice to simplify my current setup.

So I sell Grainfathers. The G40 is basically the G70. I will say, the heating element could be a bit better, and overall brew time is longer than the G30, but you're getting more volume.

Also, anything the G40 lacks, it's made up for with how good the pump is. The pump on the G40 and G70 is fantastic!

It's the S40 so the bare bones model but they sell for 700+CAD and I picked one up for 385CAD. Only real concern to me is the 2300W element is a bit weak but the all in one option beats my mess of a current setup. It gives me the option to brew in the basement in the winter and frees up garage space for forging.

Yeah, so David Heath is showing that it's slower than the G40 by about double. Takes 15 mins roughly to reach mash temp, but it's basically the same timing as the G30. Overall, I think for the price you paid, it's a steal

15 minutes is nothing, when I use my normal setup it takes close to an hour to heat my water.

David Heath has done a clip on it
As well as a cool comparison vid.
Gashslug take
Upgrade vid

David's review on the S40, looks like a nice system.
The controller is very basic, but it is a nice looking system.

Yeah I watched them but no one really discussed the power output and that was my main concern. But I don't think it's going to be a problem.

Yeah I watched them but no one really discussed the power output and that was my main concern. But I don't think it's going to be a problem.
Gashslugs upgrade vid will cover it.
As Ozarks said 240v is the GO 240v 15Amp even better:)

Ps I draw 15amps through a 10Amp socket havnt fried the house yet but chatting to an Electrician when he was Here wiring a 15Amp plug for me he sorta laughed at me and said hey all the wire in your house is good for 20Amp 240v lol. We must over spec the wiring in Aus as standard...

This is why I plug into my 10amp outlet using a 10amp connection but a 3300Watt element.
Anyhow off tangent and this is Australia not Canada...

It showed up yesterday and it has an 6-20P plug on it which made me scratch my head some. 240V is not something I have experience with but it wasn't to bad. For anyone googling this later You want a Nema 6-20R plug end and you put Black, Red, and Ground in the plugs. Cut the white off short and tape it shut if you are using a 4 prong plug. You don't need the neutral.

I put 20L in on the marks and it weighed 20kg so I think I can trust the markings, and it took 32 minutes to heat from 66F to 162F. I haven't figured out how to convert it to Celsius yet and I'll be annoyed if I can't but I'll survive.

It's pretty basic, temp and timer appear to be the only functions, but that's more than I had so it's a fancy step up for me.

Has anyone seen an equipment profile for it yet? If not I can make one up but it would be easier to crib off someone else.

Grainfather is New Zealand I'd of thought celcius would be stock standard unless they sell into the US then its distributed from there...

Yeah me too, I'm confused.

My Jaded Hydra fits in it quite nicely I have to say.
3138C06A-A38B-494E-8300-A0E0B2910FA2.jpg

I hate to have to ask: have you read the instructions? That Fahrengrade to Celsenheit thing is definitely a concern.

Firstly, HOW DARE YOU!?! But yes, I did. I even asked one of the fancy homebrew Youtubers if they new and they didn't either. Then I searched their website, and nothing. At which point I caved and emailed their support.

Oh I forgot to mention I got a response!

Make sure the unit is powered on but "Off" via the on/off button. Then hold the Set button for around 8 seconds, the F(or C I imagine) will start to flash, then use the +/- button to change it and away you go. I have no idea why they didn't bother to include this anywhere in their material.

Firstly, HOW DARE YOU!?! But yes, I did. I even asked one of the fancy homebrew Youtubers if they new and they didn't either. Then I searched their website, and nothing. At which point I caved and emailed their support.

Oh I forgot to mention I got a response!

Make sure the unit is powered on but "Off" via the on/off button. Then hold the Set button for around 8 seconds, the F(or C I imagine) will start to flash, then use the +/- button to change it and away you go. I have no idea why they didn't bother to include this anywhere in their material.
They actually love hearing from you, so they set it to F when it shipped to Canada, just so you'd write...

Hawk, I believe that they are a double wall construction, which is where the wring to the controller is hidden.
If so, I expect that will help with holding temperatures, and maintaining a boil.
Congrats on the new machine, let us know how it works for you!

Can confirm it does hold temp pretty well. I wish it was a 3000W unit instead of the 2300W but for the price I am fine with it. I was going to brew today but it's 30C and I can't be bother to.

Back