Harvest Ale

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have formulated a recipe that I hope will be both a bit sweet, and a bit malty, while having a fairly significant ABV. Some complex flavors, a decent bitterness, with some aromatic pine and floral flavors from the late centenial addition. Think pumpkin ale without the pumpkin, and a bit more bitterness than a typical pumpkin ale. Something to enjoy as the leaves are falling around you while sitting by the campfire on a Saturday afternoon in October.
Completely open to all ideas and suggestions.

Harvest Ale 6%
Partial Mash
Batch Volume: 22 L
Boil Time: 60 min
Mash Water: 20.25 L
Sparge Water: 8.74 L @ 77 °C
Total Water: 28.99 L
Boil Volume: 25.98 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.059
Original Gravity: 1.063
Final Gravity: 1.017
IBU (Tinseth): 43
BU/GU: 0.69
Colour: 12 SRM
Strike Temp — 73.4 °C
Temperature — 69 °C — 60 min
Mash Out — 77 °C — 10 min
Malts (4.5 kg)
1.7 kg (29.1%) — BESTMALZ BEST Red X® — Grain — 11.8 °L — Mash — 60 min

1 kg (17.1%) — Crisp Maris Otter — Grain — 3.5 °L — Mash — 60 min

900 g (15.4%) — Briess Oats, Flaked — Grain — 1.6 °L — Mash — 60 min

450 g (7.7%) — Simpsons Oats Golden Naked — Grain — 7.3 °L — Mash — 60 min

225 g (3.9%) — Simpsons Crystal Light — Grain — 39.5 °L — Mash — 60 min

225 g (3.9%) — Briess Victory Malt (biscuit) — Grain — 21.2 °L — Mash — 60 min

Other (1.35 kg)
1.35 kg (23.1%) — Briess Golden Light — Dry Extract — 3.5 °L — Boil — 60 min

Hops (56 g)
28 g (37 IBU) — Magnum 13.3% — Boil — 60 min

28 g (6 IBU) — Centennial 6.9% — Boil — 5 min

Yeast
1 pkg — Fermentis S-04 SafAle English Ale 75%

Fermentation
Primary — 18.9 °C — 14 days

Full disclosure, I copied this from a pumpkin ale recipe from my local LHBS, excluded the pumpkin extract, modified it to partial mash, raised mash temp, added the late centennial hops, upped the ABV, and increased mash temp.
One question I have: Is there enough base malt there to get conversion from the adjuncts?

I’m no help on that. You looks roughly 50% base. No experience going less than 70 which I do in my stout. It converts fine.

Pumpkin belongs in a pie, where I absolutely love it! In a beer, not a fan, AT ALL:eek:
Pumpkin only belongs in savoury dishes, like a Thai curry.
Not in pies, not in beer :)
Long live the cultural differences :p

Pumpkin belongs in a pie, where I absolutely love it! In a beer, not a fan, AT ALL:eek:
Well, if it's fermentable, we should try to ferment it...

But is YOURS fermentable? The Recipe Calculator here will tell you. Look at the bottom of the grain bill - if DP > 30, it is fermentable.

upload_2023-3-25_12-16-34.png

Well, if it's fermentable, we should try to ferment it...

But is YOURS fermentable? The Recipe Calculator here will tell you. Look at the bottom of the grain bill - if DP > 30, it is fermentable.

View attachment 24817
I plugged the grain bill in minus the DME, and get this result. I use Brewfather, and I am sure that the DP is there somewhere, but I am not seeing it on the App, looks like I should be good.
Screenshot_20230325-122756_Chrome.jpg

I plugged the grain bill in minus the DME, and get this result. I use Brewfather, and I am sure that the DP is there somewhere, but I am not seeing it on the App, looks like I should be good.
View attachment 24818
Adding some enzymes can't hurt, but yes, you are just barely 'good'.

I figured out that the MO malt that I selected in the software I use didn't have a DP number entered. I selected another MO which did have it, and now it shows it. The RedX has a DP value as well. I think I will still mash for 90 though, no harm in that. I have been working on the fermentables, it seems a bit complex, but I am going for a complex beer. The Candi sugar should dry it up a little but, while boosting the ABV to 6.6%
Screenshot_20230326-110141_Brewfather.jpg

As the gravity will be higher that Fermentis recommends for direct pitching without aerating, I was thinking about adaptin a kitchen faucet aerator, like below, to the end of the hose on the way into the fermenter... thoughts?
Screenshot_20230326-123723_Chrome.jpg

Very interesting idea. My only fear is that it will clog up rather quickly.

A normal Pumpkin Ale is 1/3 each of Pale, Munich, and Vienna. You can sweeten it up with Crystal or Cara something. You can increase the maltiness by adding more Munich. S04 does work. I would go English with the Hops, but I believe Palmer went German with his recipe.

Should I go with a balanced profile? Start with 80-100ppm chlorides?

Hopefully, other will chime in with a water profile. My idea of a water profile for about everything is 8 gallons of Publix Spring Water LOL.
For whatever reason, Ocala sourced bottled spring water works for me, and I am not ready to change yet.

Actually, someone posted John Palmer's recipe some time ago, and I left it on my desktop.
Pumpkin.JPG

Back