Grain mix up

Sunfire96

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure my LHBS mixed up some grain in my order. I was supposed to get Crystal 60 and Crystal 20, and the C20 looks way too dark. Do y'all think they gave me two orders of C60? Any idea what I ended up with?

Also, what's the retail etiquette here in your experience? Do I send them an email with the picture? I'm really only out $2.50, but I mostly want to know what the heck they gave me! The order was filled about a week ago, so I don't even know if they can track down that info.

Oh well, the beer will be beer, time for a homebrew :)
20201024_164259.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah well if that's 60 lovibond that 20 must be 80-100 by the looks. I find the higher kiln the more burnt toffee caramel rasin type things. Lovely for porter brown ale or just a smidge in pales will go fine.
My bunyip beer has around 200g dark crystal malt I thinks its 80lovibond gives it a nice deep orange color in the light just lovely.

I'm pretty sure my LHBS mixed up some grain in my order. I was supposed to get Crystal 60 and Crystal 20, and the C20 looks way too dark. Do y'all think they gave me two orders of C60? Any idea what I ended up with?

Also, what's the retail etiquette here in your experience? Do I send them an email with the picture? I'm really only out $2.50, but I mostly want to know what the heck they gave me! The order was filled about a week ago, so I don't even know if they can track down that info.

Oh well, the beer will be beer, time for a homebrew :)
View attachment 12552
I'd definitely let them know. The cost of the grain may only be a couple of bucks, but it could possibly change your whole beer that costs much more. Plus, I think you do yourself and them a disservice by not letting them know if there was indeed a mix up. Many places don't know to address a problem if they don't know about the problem or if one even exists.

If you don't care about the LHBS, then don't say anything. But if you do, let them know. They should be grateful for you taking the time to tell them.

I vote for a label mix-up.

LHBS insists it was C20 :( they sent this pic of their C20 and C120 side by side. I sent them a pic of my brew with the grains labelled "c20" because it came out much higher than the projected 6.5 SRM. (original recipe: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1055365/american-wveik)

I'm happy to reorder more C20, I just wish I could figure out what this grain is. I think it's going to be between 10-15 SRM, more like an amber wheat.
IMG_0822.JPG

20201025_111903.jpg

I would still think that your c20 is actually c60.
But, if the shop is not too far, then why not go there with your grains? So you can compare with their stock....
Or, otrder some c20, c60 and c120 and do this test at home (ask for extra care when labelling ;) )

LHBS insists it was C20 :( they sent this pic of their C20 and C120 side by side. I sent them a pic of my brew with the grains labelled "c20" because it came out much higher than the projected 6.5 SRM. (original recipe: https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/1055365/american-wveik)

I'm happy to reorder more C20, I just wish I could figure out what this grain is. I think it's going to be between 10-15 SRM, more like an amber wheat.
View attachment 12582
View attachment 12583
Ask them to send you a picture of their C60 next to their C20, that is the comparison, C120 was just a guess on your part. Are they telling you that their C20 is darker than their C60? I just love it when people insist that they didn't make a mistake, even when presented evidence. Probably best just to move on if they didn't appreciate you bringing it up.

Back