Got My Water Profile, Now What?

That would be handy I think. I may be wrong on this but I think this site draws a disproportionate number of newer brewers. I started with Beersmith and ended up here because it overwhelmed me.

your alkalinity goes way down when lowering ph with acid so don't finalize any profile without using the acid part then look at the very bottom of the calculator

That's good to know, I find when I look at a lot of recipes that include salt values they don't tend to include a value for that and a blank spot in something like this makes me very nervous.

That's good to know, I find when I look at a lot of recipes that include salt values they don't tend to include a value for that and a blank spot in something like this makes me very nervous.
What you're trying to control with salts in the mash is the mash pH. The water calculator here takes your grist, your source water, your salt and acid additions and comes up with a predicted mash pH value. This should be at or near a value of 5.4, a bit lower for very light beers, a bit higher for very dark ones. That's one function of salts. In other beers, salts are a part of the flavor profile. The calculator doesn't work for those - you'll have to discover that by adding salts to the kettle. Don't worry about the salt values or the water's pH, they're mostly irrelevant. Concern yourself with the mash pH.

I would have assumed the acid was for addressing the PH.

for most beers I brew I usually end up adding around 5ml of 88% phosphoric acid to lower the ph on top of the grain lowering it but that's for a 20 pound grain bill

I would have assumed the acid was for addressing the PH.
Salts reduce residual alkalinity - the quantity you can use to predict your mash pH - as well, just not as much. General rule: Adjust your salts to where you want them then finish adjusting pH with acid.

if you use the advanced calculator the acid section is last but you need to pay attention to it because it greatly reduces the alkalinity

this is my next beer the Kolsch and really is typical for my beers, this is 20 pounds of grain

Opera Snapshot_2018-07-26_140809_www.brewersfriend.com.png

I'm totally stealing your recipe and messing with it. :)

actually I've changed mine to just 50% Pilsner and Vienna but it should be the same

Huh it is not showing that in the link in your post.

Cool, you really mixed it up.

Makes sense, it's what I'm doing to my copy of it.

Are the Gypsum and Calcium Chloride for the water profile or for something else?

yes to boost my calcium, don't pay attention to that use your water profile as source

Back