Good hops for Stout

MiketheB

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
What hops are good for Stouts. I have heard that not a lot of hops is recommended? But others are saying a few are good. What do you say?

Any particular style of Stout? American, Irish, Oatmeal, Tropical....

I make an American Stout over and over and really love a late addition of Willamette. Bitter with whatever you have...Magnum, Bravo, Nugget, etc.
I would probably use EK Goldings for an Irish Stout, but add them much earlier in the boil to keep the aroma pretty low.

Lots of possibilities here.

I’m down with EKG: 50% @ 60 mins., 33% @ 30 mins and 17%@ 15 mins. Works good for me.

I like a 60 minute addition of either EKG or Fuggles for an Irish dry stout

I always use fuggles in my stouts one addition at the beginning of the boil

Last year I used Palisade in my Cranberry Chocolate Stout, same brew this year but I gave cascade a go this year. Won't have any feedback for you for a while though.

Last year I used Palisade in my Cranberry Chocolate Stout, same brew this year but I gave cascade a go this year. Won't have any feedback for you for a while though.
Several years ago I brewed a sweet stout with cascades just to see and it turned out pretty good.

I’m going to try a single addition of Fuggles at 60 when I make my first stout this winter...mainly because I have a crap load of it in the freezer.

Several years ago I brewed a sweet stout with cascades just to see and it turned out pretty good.
I had a sample tonight when checking gravity, of course warm and flat it is hard to tell, but it tasted pretty good. Put about 500ml into a pop bottle and hit it with 30 PSI, tomorrow will be a better barometer.

Back