Ginger-Tumeric Beer help.

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Gday brewers.
So here is what I've mulled about in my peanut so far for a tumeric ginger beer brew https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/828285/ginger-ninger.

I'm thinking for the beer something with a bit of body fairly sessionable but a grist that giveS a good working plain canvase for the star of the beer to shine through the tumeric and ginger. The grist is nice a pale so maybe some orange/yellow colors may come through from the tumeric. Also I want a sweet malty body to ballance the spice from the ginger and the (hopefully) earthy nuttiness I get from tumeric hence to increased chloride count. Maybe I should go 2:1 tumeric to ginger as I know ginger is quite a bit stronger in flavour than tumeric?
I suppose I comes down to what i pull out the ground before brew day. Knowing me the exact weights of ginger and tumeric i use in the brew will change.
Do youse think i got a good grist going?would a dash of lactose sugar be wise I know if got some of that floating about but maybe too sweet maybe ruin that quaffabilty? I've got the oats in there to emulate a creamy silky type mouthfeel. Also whirlpooling with a bit of Citra to get that cirtussy thing going on in the flavour that should complement this beer well but reserved enough to not dominate the more subtle flavours from the spices.

Wont be brewing this up for a week or two but thought I'd throw it up for perusal from the forum members.
Let me know what youse think?
Especially @thunderwagn as I know you've tasted a brew like this that inspired me to try one myself.
Cheers any advice will be well received.
CHEERS.

So fresh ginger? I know your amounts will change but that seems like a ton to me. I think I used 28g at the end of the boil in a blonde once and it was overbearing. That was a long time ago...

The carapils and the sugar seem to contradict each other. That’s not really a critique as the same thing was pointed out to me on one of my recent beers. Just curious what your goal is with that.

Last edited:
Yeah, the Carapils and Oats seem to go toward a beer with big mouthfeel but the sugar is just thinning out a low-gravity beer.
I say keep it simple, clean and dry to show off your featured flavors (which, btw, I have to say I find compelling and interesting even though I'm seldom drawn to the idea of "novelty" beers with unusual spices).
I'd look at Pilsner or 2-row with a little wheat or Carapils for head, mashed low for good attenuation. And this might be a great beer to brew with the K-97 kolsh yeast - good attenuation with some fruitiness but with a little more malt and body.

Yeah agree with you both the sugar doesnt belong. I guess I'm going against the grain of what I am trying to achieve with the carapils and oats. I'll have to dig into some notes on previous ginger beers I did years ago on ginger amounts I used in them brews. I pretty much got into brewing through ginger beers all them years back trying to make that home made backyard explosion type with the "Mother culture" dont know if you guys have herd of this. It's like a sour dough type thing where you build up a yeast colony in a jar by taKing half the contents away then feeding it with half if cane sugar and ginger. I remember them first batches were quite yum but very unstable LOL youd put the ginger liquid into a plastic bottle leave it out for a day then refrigerate for the rest of the time to stall the fermentation.

Anyhow I'm rambling. I'm gunna cut the cane sugar but will keep the oats a carapils im not going for a dry ginger beer in my mind im thinking of a simple pale blonde beer with a full body/mouthfeel that has some residual sweetness with a nice strong ginger bite and earthy nutty finish. I'm trying to ballance that hot ginger bite with some malty sweetness. This is why I'm favouring alpha amelayse and trying to get some dextrines in there sonny FG may round out around 1.012 ish

I suppose I'm going against the grain too with the yeast but I find the 007 does leave a nice malt character behind.

Yes I recon for a clean crisp dry ginger Ale K-97 with grist mashed like pilsner profile with a healthy sulphate ratio and a dash of late boil flame out ginger would make for a killer dry ginger beer!

You're doing all the things I've tried that seem to work.

Someone on a podcast was talking about adding some of their oats in a bag in the boil kettle as they're heating up to boil. They were just trying to add more body and protein, but I'm thinking you've already got plenty with that grain bill.

You're doing all the things I've tried that seem to work.

Someone on a podcast was talking about adding some of their oats in a bag in the boil kettle as they're heating up to boil. They were just trying to add more body and protein, but I'm thinking you've already got plenty with that grain bill.
So you've tried a few ginger beer brews Mark? I've had a look back through my old recipie book and found a all cane sugar ginger beer where I added 220g ginger 6 lemons juiced and boiled with cane sugar. I'm trying to figure out Ginger amounts. I think a 30minute whirlpool should sort pasturisation I'll have to have a think about the post fermentation spice addition.
I have been thinking of roasting the root in oven set to 100c for half hour to kill any wild bugs then chopped up in pre boiled thermomix and added to fermentor:rolleyes:.

That's a bunch of ginger.... Ginger ale range, likely! But hey, it's your beer, if you want that much put it in. Don't know about turmeric, haven't used it in beer (it is the bright yellow in American yellow mustard).

I'm trying to ballance that hot ginger bite with some malty sweetness. This is why I'm favouring alpha amelayse and trying to get some dextrines in there sonny FG may round out around 1.012 ish
Can't argue with that! ;)

Yeah the ginger amounts is tricky. The ginger I'll be using will be green ginger out of the my garden not the brown stuff. The green ginger has a little less bite than the brown. The browns been left to mature for two years whereas the greennginger is the young stuff a year or so old.
If I think about it in cooking terms when I make vietnamese beef noodle soup it's got a good dose of ginger and chilly and stock to make up the soup. I use a good thumb size stick of ginger to get a nice ginger spice going and that's for about a 5 lt batch/soup size:p. So quadruple that I need about 4 thumb sized sticks of ginger to get a reasonable ginger kick. Remember I'm brewing for this heat by trying to create a sweetish malt body for it too. I'm thinking what ever ginger amount i use I'll double the turmeric. The tumeric is going to be a real wild card for me as I've never put this in a brew before.

So you've tried a few ginger beer brews Mark? I've had a look back through my old recipie book and found a all cane sugar ginger beer where I added 220g ginger 6 lemons juiced and boiled with cane sugar. I'm trying to figure out Ginger amounts. I think a 30minute whirlpool should sort pasturisation I'll have to have a think about the post fermentation spice addition.
I have been thinking of roasting the root in oven set to 100c for half hour to kill any wild bugs then chopped up in pre boiled thermomix and added to fermentor:rolleyes:.
Sorry, haven't played with ginger, it was more keeping the body in the the lower ABV beers.

Sorry, haven't played with ginger, it was more keeping the body in the the lower ABV beers.
Yep picking up what your putting down I've actually upped the ale malt just a bit more to make sure I hit my malty body target Lol. Yep I brew quite a lot of mid 4
1.040 beers and have found a healthy addition of wheat will keep the body there for you.
I've only once brewed a malt based beer before here it tis https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/425369/lemongrass-wheat
It's a wheat based brew I brewed it as a Christmas beer a few years back it was the last keg standing and least received I remember it as being a clean brew but bland in flavour as in the lemongrass was muted ginger was good but yeah just wasn't moreish nothing stood out.

Gday brewers.
So here is what I've mulled about in my peanut so far for a tumeric ginger beer brew https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/828285/ginger-ninger.

I'm thinking for the beer something with a bit of body fairly sessionable but a grist that giveS a good working plain canvase for the star of the beer to shine through the tumeric and ginger. The grist is nice a pale so maybe some orange/yellow colors may come through from the tumeric. Also I want a sweet malty body to ballance the spice from the ginger and the (hopefully) earthy nuttiness I get from tumeric hence to increased chloride count. Maybe I should go 2:1 tumeric to ginger as I know ginger is quite a bit stronger in flavour than tumeric?
I suppose I comes down to what i pull out the ground before brew day. Knowing me the exact weights of ginger and tumeric i use in the brew will change.
Do youse think i got a good grist going?would a dash of lactose sugar be wise I know if got some of that floating about but maybe too sweet maybe ruin that quaffabilty? I've got the oats in there to emulate a creamy silky type mouthfeel. Also whirlpooling with a bit of Citra to get that cirtussy thing going on in the flavour that should complement this beer well but reserved enough to not dominate the more subtle flavours from the spices.

Wont be brewing this up for a week or two but thought I'd throw it up for perusal from the forum members.
Let me know what youse think?
Especially @thunderwagn as I know you've tasted a brew like this that inspired me to try one myself.
Cheers any advice will be well received.
CHEERS.

My daughter and I are actually going to the brewery today that had the ginger/tumeric beer. If the owner is there today I'll ask her if she can provide more info.

My daughter and I are actually going to the brewery today that had the ginger/tumeric beer. If the owner is there today I'll ask her if she can provide more info.
Much appreciated. Grist info:rolleyes: and ginger tumeric amounts ratios:rolleyes:. Mash temp even for a squeeze:D.

20190604_163631.jpg

Well that yellow colour has come through!
Fermentation looks done at 1.014 higher than usuall 71%attenuation but I mashed high and was hoping for more sweetness. Looks like its comming to plan the ginger is on the nose the flavour is not overwhelming at all quite subdued actually I'm debating weather to dry hop more ginger and tumeric in. It tastes nice in the sample though. If I do dry hop I'm going to wizz some up in the thermo and keg hop it in that hop ball I got. Anyhow

Not a bad first atempt. I'll up the ginger next time by just a bit more. But now this beer is carbed it showing a bit more promise. It's still tame in the ginger department but that makes it not too overwhelming so brings it forward more making you wanna keep drinking. I think the water profile is good and the sweetness I recon that part is spot on if not maybe a splash or Munich to bring that malt forward.
So @Vallka not a bad first run as I know your following this thread I know you'll probably find it hard to get turmeric maybe... bit the ginger amounts seem to be good more on the low side. So a good starting point.

Remember I'm not going for dry ginger ale here
But as Australians would know the flavour of Bunderberg Ginger beer a sweet but flavoursome ginger beer with a good bite.
20190613_182250.jpg

Back