General purpose malted grain.

Fleabag

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi. New guy to all grain and the forum so please be gentle and talk sloooowly! :)
I've included a list of ingredients to the post which requires a couple of different grains. 4 require 2 row pale ale (UK and usa) and one a pilsener malt. Is there a malt I can buy which will cover those fairly well in one 25kg bag? I understand specialty malts and crystals are going to be bought in the amounts on the list but I'm just curious about the bulk fermentables. Is there much difference between the Uk and Usa 2 rows?
Cheers.
Fleabag

Attachments

• wp_ss_20170727_0001.png
    wp_ss_20170727_0001.png
    254.1 KB · Views: 135
Do you own a mill yet ?
A good solid flavourful UK malt is Marris otter .
Buying full sacks does save $$ but if you're unable to mill it then buy crushed as needed

Or do as I do and wiz em up in the thermomix or blender on bursts until course flour consistency. You get great extraction this way but sparging is a hassle :rolleyes:. I add grain at 500 ish gram lots wiz for 10 seconds pour out and inspect the grains if some are still whole either drop the amount or wiz for longer. But I caution you on this DIY bodgey home blender style milling ha ha it's been doing me proud:p.

Do you own a mill yet ?
A good solid flavourful UK malt is Marris otter .
Buying full sacks does save $$ but if you're unable to mill it then buy crushed as needed
I'll pick up a roller mill from the hbs while I'm there so getting my shopping list so crushing shouldn't be an issue. I brew probably once a month, sometimes a double batch, at least I did when I did kit and kilo brewing. I expect it to remain fairly consistent so will need a way to prepare the grains.
Cheers.

Personally, I think you're probably going to be hiding a lot of the base malt behind specialty grains and hops, so I don't think there's going to be too much difference between UK and US malt of the same type. Never used pilsner malt, so I cant say how different that is
Like Mark said, Maris otter is a pretty good base

Pilsner and 2-row are essentially the same malt with differences between maltsters being more pronounced that differences between the two types. It really depends on the brand. I use a basic German Pilsner malt as a base malt instead of American 2-row, but you could easily go the other way. A lot of basic lagers can be made with American 2-row and come out just fine. If I want a real Pilsner characteristic for traditional European style beers, I use a Czech floor-malted Pilsner. There's a pronounced difference in the character.

Personally, I think you're probably going to be hiding a lot of the base malt behind specialty grains and hops, so I don't think there's going to be too much difference between UK and US malt of the same type. Never used pilsner malt, so I cant say how different that is
Like Mark said, Maris otter is a pretty good base
Through my Helles Projekt, I'm slowly discovering there's not a lot of difference between base grains in terms of flavor. Put another way, the differences are subtle and, to expand on what JC said, likely will be lost to process variation as well as covered up by the specialty malts.

And before JA flames me, there are differences. But for an IPA or a roasty dark beer, they really don't matter that much.

Fair enough. Was what I was hoping for. Not enough difference to worry about especially as I'm a newbie. My stuff ups will probably cover up any difference as I'm learning.
I'm pretty sure my hbs I use has plenty of weyermann (hopefully pronounced ok) but not sure about marris otter? Will have to chase it up.
Cheers.

Don't know what you blokes can get ya hands on over there. Marris Otter is a staple base malt.Over here in UK we can buy Irish pale,Lager and stout malt very reasonably,quite a bit cheaper than M/O and it's a good malt.
I have used a blender to good effect on small amounts of grains. I got a cheapo mill from Ebay for £20,they are pretty rough castings but can mill around a kilo at a time and i does ok for my small brews.
Very rarely buy any milled grain at all now.

in terms of your pricing I get 2 row for around 1.10 EUR a pound here

nothing wrong with buying local malts where possible , i grabbed a sack of ale malt malted within 10 km of home and it was $33.50 a sack compared to $51 for imported TF floor malted Golden Promise
Local product is fine but since most Aussie beer is pretty thin on malt character i do beef it up a bit with Vienna ,Rye or Munich

Just worked it out and local product BB ale is 0.41 EUR /Lb here

Reactions: J A
your prices are much better than mine a sack of Golden Promise is $67 us here

yet my local hop prices are astronomical
i can buy AU or NZ hops cheaper from Yakima valley than i can locally even when shipping is quite expensive
Odd my price is 35 % cheaper ...we did by a whole pallet though between 10 of us
A single bag at normal retail price is $63 USD

Or do as I do and wiz em up in the thermomix or blender on bursts until course flour consistency. You get great extraction this way but sparging is a hassle :rolleyes:. I add grain at 500 ish gram lots wiz for 10 seconds pour out and inspect the grains if some are still whole either drop the amount or wiz for longer. But I caution you on this DIY bodgey home blender style milling ha ha it's been doing me proud:p.
I´m getting pre-milled grains and wondering if i use the blender to crush more into poweder if i will get a higher Efficiency by using BIAB. What you think?

I´m getting pre-milled grains and wondering if i use the blender to crush more into poweder if i will get a higher Efficiency by using BIAB. What you think?
Yeah ill give you my recent comparisons last brew i used premilled grain from brew store same mash schedual same sparge brew house came in at 73%. My pilsner i milled in thermomix sped 8 for 10 sec @500g increments mashed sparged same volumes just a 90 min boil brew house clocked in at 83% thats 10% better brew house from a finer crush.

Negatives your sparge is very difficult like trying to dribble water through mud. Also im finding my pilsner is takeing some time to clear up on the keg so caution on clarity.

Next brew prob next week sometime ill full volume mash my fine milled grain and see what efficiency i get going this way.:)

The Irish Malt i buy is around 21.21 Euro ie £19 per 25 kg sack,plus some postage which if i were buying other items would pay for itself.
To buy from a local'ish hbs would be a lot more than that!

Back