Gelatin

And I'm planning to buy a couple of kegs this week for bulk aging sours. With those I'd transfer half the keg out each year and I definitely want to leave the crap in the bottom for the next batch. Hmmm, may have to take this more seriously.
Or rack half to fresh keg to (I'm guessing) mix your sours rack rest off trub we gotta remember autolosis man I love spell check...
One thing to be wary Is krausen or hop debris possibly faking onto floating dip tube. But I suppose easily cleaned and swapped with another keg lid.
The cheapest stainless fermentor I can see on Aussie Market is $150 A cornie keg is a third that coast of second hand...
Heck Sorry Craig for the thread derail wopps:rolleyes:.

Yep, it was going to be cornies. Ferment in the normal fermenter and then transfer to the keg after 1-2 weeks, leaving most of the trub in that, so it shouldn't be that big in the keg. I'll be adding some oak chips to give some of the beasties a home, so need to make sure they won't clog the dip tube.

Thinking this will be a perpetual bulk aging. Replace 50% every year with new wort (or beer if I need to push it in a different direction). I could probably just trim the dip tube to about 60% of it's size as I'm not planning to remove more than 50% unless it becomes a dumper and at that point the dip tube length is academic.

What thread derail? ;)

Ya! What thread derail?

All good guys, no worries

Just coming back to this folks.
It is time to cold crash my black IPA.
I have a crap ton of head space in my fermenters, and the airlocks allow the necessary air back in during cold crash, never had a suck back issue, and have never had an oxidization issue when cold crashing.
For the water I am going to use to dissolve the gelatin, I plan to boil it first to drive off the oxygen, then add it to the fermenter once it has reached near freezing temp.
My thinking is that if I can get it to drop clear in the fermenter, why wouldn't I?
Is this a good plan?

I crash to 42F for a few days to drop clear before kegging. I've always just put the gelatin in room temperature filtered water and nuked to about 170F. Once I get a keg filled, I dump it in, put the keg in my keezer (set to 38F) and purge the head space with CO2 several times. Never had a problem with oxidation. I mainly use gelatin in beers when I want them to be brilliant and don't usually bother with it in IPAs and dark beers.

Gelatin work a treat, I hadn't thought of kegging and chilling without pressurizing entirely. That's a better method than what I've been doing.

Just coming back to this folks.
It is time to cold crash my black IPA.
I have a crap ton of head space in my fermenters, and the airlocks allow the necessary air back in during cold crash, never had a suck back issue, and have never had an oxidization issue when cold crashing.
For the water I am going to use to dissolve the gelatin, I plan to boil it first to drive off the oxygen, then add it to the fermenter once it has reached near freezing temp.
My thinking is that if I can get it to drop clear in the fermenter, why wouldn't I?
Is this a good plan?
You certainly can. Before kegging it was my go to method.

Set the fermenting fridge to 1C earlier, will add the gelatin in a couple days when it cools down (10g takes a bit longer to chill than 5g), then leave it for a few more days. Probably keg it Friday or Saturday. I am actually going to bottle half of the batch, so doing the gelatin in the fermenter makes the most sense.

That should do it just right. No worries mate.

Set the fermenting fridge to 1C earlier, will add the gelatin in a couple days when it cools down (10g takes a bit longer to chill than 5g), then leave it for a few more days. Probably keg it Friday or Saturday. I am actually going to bottle half of the batch, so doing the gelatin in the fermenter makes the most sense.
No rush Craig your not going anywhere:D!

Back