Gelatin

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
If I am adding gelatin into the fermenter during cold crash after fermentation is complete, how long should I wait to keg it? I actually put it in the fridge 24 hours ago to crash, was going to add gelatin Saturday

Do you need to trim the dip tube if you use it in the keg?

I have mine trimmed, but not just for gelatin, there is always gunk at the bottom of my kegs

I also add mine to the keg. It eliminates dealing with any type of suck back and having to move the primary around and letting settle back out, and then transferring to keg. I chill my kegged beer, pop the top and add the gelatin, and start carbing. Works great! All that aside, 24 hrs is plenty time.

gelatin takes about 3 days at very cold temps, longer at warmer temps, I just use it in the keg my self as I fill it, saves time
I have mine trimmed, but not just for gelatin, there is always gunk at the bottom of my kegs
I also add mine to the keg. It eliminates dealing with any type of suck back and having to move the primary around and letting settle back out, and then transferring to keg. I chill my kegged beer, pop the top and add the gelatin, and start carbing. Works great! All that aside, 24 hrs is plenty time.
Thanks guys
Do you hydrate the gelatin, or just toss in a half teaspoon? I had added whirlfloc in the boil, and am not overly concerned about clarity.

What is trimming the dip tube about?

Always appreciate the input and advice!

you heat up about 1/2 cup of water to around 150F add the gelatin stir very well then add to the wort

I do bloom (hydrate).
Trim the dip tube a bit higher off bottom of keg to keep from dispensing what settles out to the bottom of the keg.

When you say "trim" what are we talking?
If you cut a small piece (probably .5-1 inch) off the bottom of the dip tube, you will pull only clear beer, and leave any yeast, hop matter, etc in the bottom of the keg. If I was going to do that I would cut a very small amount and see if it worked, if not cut a little more. If you cut too much you will leave good beer in the keg. And you can always cut more, adding it back on is much more difficult.

What about this floating dip tube I hear being used? now this seems like the perfect solution to doing away with the solid dip tube altogether and drinking from the top to bottom of keg anyone trying out these?

What about this floating dip tube I hear being used? now this seems like the perfect solution to doing away with the solid dip tube altogether and drinking from the top to bottom of keg anyone trying out these?

Reviews I've read on them have all been good. Have thought about getting a couple.

I just leave a tiny bit in the bottle. He he.

I recon that would also be handy i recon if fermenting in a keg for racking.
Good point TB. Could carbonate in a keg with priming sugar and serve clear beer as soon as carbed and lagered. Could be a good way to go with some beers.
Seems nice too, but I just use a jug for my first pour until all the crap is gone. Get rid of it at the start, rather than at the end.

The fermentasaurus float kit seems like it could be a fairly simply solution, assuming the dip tube would fit that hose - https://www.keg-king.com.au/fermentasaurus-float-and-dip-tube.html.html

From what I've seen it don't fit. You need a diff hose.

I recon that would also be handy i recon if fermenting in a keg for racking.

And I'm planning to buy a couple of kegs this week for bulk aging sours. With those I'd transfer half the keg out each year and I definitely want to leave the crap in the bottom for the next batch. Hmmm, may have to take this more seriously.

Back