GABF Win

Hints: If you want to do this beer, dry it out. Wade at Ironworks did so and it made it a lot nicer than the original. It needs to attenuate high and a slightly bitter finish on it is nice. When you're thinking about the molasses addition, it's a spice - you should not taste molasses.

When I was researching the style, I learned that it was largely German brewers who brewed in Louisville pre-Prohibition. That gave me the clue: This beer is more or less an interpretation of an Altbier using American ingredients and in no way should it be soured (tried that in a bottle someone gave me - don't). If you approach it from that perspective, it really starts to make sense as a beer.

Ive been working on this for a while, what do you think of this Nosy

Style Name: Altbier
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 6 gallons (ending kettle volume)
Boil Size: 9 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.030
Boil Time: 90 minutes
Efficiency: 80% (ending kettle)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.044
Final Gravity: 1.009
ABV (standard): 4.69%
IBU (tinseth): 32
SRM (morey): 12.77

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - German - Pilsner (67.4%)
3 lb - Belgian - Munich (22.5%)
0.5 lb - Belgian - CaraMunich (8.4%)
2.5 oz - American - Black Malt (1.8%)

HOPS:
0.5oz - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 42.8
0.5 oz - Spalt, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 4.25

Last edited:

STATS:
IBU (tinseth): 47.05

FERMENTABLES:
2 lb - Belgian - Munich (22.5%)
0.75 lb - Belgian - CaraMunich (8.4%)

HOPS:
0.75 oz - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 42.8
I'd replace the caramel malt with more Munich for a dryer finish, otherwise, looks pretty solid. 47 IBUs seems a bit high, gravity looks good. My next challenge was given to me by a gentleman originally from Bonn, Germany: Make a good Koelsch. I hate to tell Horst this, but I prefer Alt.... You can do an Alt with all Munich malt (around 10° L) and a bit of color - that'll be my approach on the next one. Hop choice is spot on.

CaraMunich is just a stronger maltier Munich, Ive been doing some research and it seams they like it malty but clean thats why i just added a little

took Munich 10 up to 3 and caraMunich down to.5 then magnum down to .5 gives 32 ibu, with the water I'm using I wont even taste any bitterness

...Interested in hearing how it comes out. I have the Alt based on Munich planned, just can't get to it....

Boil Time: 90 minutes

STATS:
IBU (tinseth): 32

FERMENTABLES:
3 lb - Belgian - Munich (22.5%)
0.5 lb - Belgian - CaraMunich (8.4%)

HOPS:
0.5oz - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 42.8
What be your yeast of choice for this brew Ozarks curious?

On the munich side of things and this is my personal limited experience but ive found from my last two light lagers that a little munich sure goes a long way in the malty department.

Your advised to use altbier yeast most brands have one but I think a dry lager yeast will work like 34/70 even at 60 or even US05

Gledison, I wish I could bring you one (assuming there were any still in existence - I brewed the homebrew version in April). Work used to take me to Germany quite often, now not so much. If the opportunity arises, you'll have to let me know where you are. Work is in Frankfurt.
Cool. im in Mannheim, not so far. let me know when u are around.

Just heard from Ironworks this afternoon, Kentucky Common is going to the World Beer Cup! I'll help brew it in February....
Are they keeping this on tap or any distro locally? I'd like to try it!
*Looks like they may have it on tap. Hilltopper Common? I may try and get down there soon.

Back