Frustrated... (Tilt/Kindle)

naDinMN

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I recently hooked up a Tilt to a Kindle Fire 7 9th Gen and I'm only getting updates when the Kindle is open and the app is on. I looked through all the settings, but can't find out what is wrong.

Anyone have an idea what is wrong?

Hey,

I recently hooked up a Tilt to a Kindle Fire 7 9th Gen and I'm only getting updates when the Kindle is open and the app is on. I looked through all the settings, but can't find out what is wrong.

Anyone have an idea what is wrong?
If the screen goes to sleep, it stops logging. You have to disable any sleep or screen timeout.

Honestly, for $20. Get the Rpi w-zero and install tilt-pi. Its a dedicated server and you can see your live readings anywhere in addition to the remote logging

The Kindle will go to sleep. To use the Kindle Fire with Tilt, you'll need to turn on developer mode. Then you'll be able to run continuous updates.

If the screen goes to sleep, it stops logging. You have to disable any sleep or screen timeout.

Honestly, for $20. Get the Rpi w-zero and install tilt-pi. Its a dedicated server and you can see your live readings anywhere in addition to the remote logging
The Raspberry Pi is a good option. Another good option is to find an old cell phone with Bluetooth and WiFi and use it as a dedicated server. Even cheaper.

The Raspberry Pi is a good option. Another good option is to find an old cell phone with Bluetooth and WiFi and use it as a dedicated server. Even cheaper.
Yes, but the cell phone doesn't have the capability to be accessed remotely. The Rpi has a built in webserver. You can access it from any browser anywhere.

Considering the device is $150. Another $20 to log it is not much

The Kindle will go to sleep. To use the Kindle Fire with Tilt, you'll need to turn on developer mode. Then you'll be able to run continuous updates.

Already have the (unused otherwise) Kindle, so... Going to try to make it work. Once in developer do I have to have the screen on all the time?

Already have the (unused otherwise) Kindle, so... Going to try to make it work. Once in developer do I have to have the screen on all the time?
As long as the app stays active.......maybe not? I have an old galaxy tab i used to use. The screen would shut off and it still worked.

Yes, I just leave the app open and the screen on. And developer mode should allow you to turn off sleep mode altogether.

I literally build datacenters for a living and you guys are to nerdy for me.
I'm just a poor farm kid/carpenter from Wisconsin...way too high tech for me. I just pull a sample after two weeks and see if the glass ball floats to the right number.

I'm just a poor farm kid/carpenter from Wisconsin...way too high tech for me. I just pull a sample after two weeks and see if the glass ball floats to the right number.

That's what I do too. They seem neat but I like brewing cause it gets me away from technology. So I'll just keep using masking tape and sharpie for my record keeping. ;)

That's what I do too. They seem neat but I like brewing cause it gets me away from technology. So I'll just keep using masking tape and sharpie for my record keeping. ;)
Don’t get me wrong, I may give one of those electronic hydrometers a try, would come in handy when I have 3-4 beers I want to through the big Spiedel. Baby steps ya know...

Don’t get me wrong, I may give one of those electronic hydrometers a try, would come in handy when I have 3-4 beers I want to through the big Spiedel. Baby steps ya know...
Ilike the tilt. But you have to accept that it is not laboratory grade measurements.

Oh yeah, I'm in no way judging beyond yelling NNNEEERRRDDD!!! out the car window like Homer Simpson. They're neat pieces of kit.

Case in point: Nice, stable SG measurements :rolleyes: here (blue line):

SPA0508 (YELLOW TILT) - Google Drive.jpg

Case in point: Nice, stable SG measurements :rolleyes: here (blue line):

View attachment 15701
I still think the 'dog-hair' might be concentrations of yeast turning on and off, as well as krausen/bubbles sticking to the tube. Not sure there would be a remedy for that. The device appears to work on pressure/depth measurements. Same way the glass ball works, but no one leaves the hydrometer in the brew. The beauty of the Tilt is that you can see the trend of the SG and how fast you're fermenting instead of having to continually sample to see if it's done. It's very handy to show when the fermenting goes flat-line, and can possibly shave a few days off ferment, or even better, let you know if it's fermenting too fast, as well as the effects of temperature with any given yeast. Every sample interval with a standard hydrometer and thief is an infection waiting to happen. It isn't a matter of IF, it's a matter of WHEN.

Opening the fermenter is breaking the Murphy's Law #1. "Don't mess with Mrs. Murphy". Law #2 is "IF it can go wrong, it probably will, and at the least opportune moment." I'm not a pessimist, just a snake-bit pragmatist. If it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any.

Uh oh, I see my not too distant fate. Do all engineers get banished to the garage/shed?
Yes... In my case it is self imposed but well worth it - especially with a coffee machine and CD player in there too. You can always keep milk in the fridge too!!!

Back