Forgot an Ingredient!

Discussion in 'General Brewing Discussions' started by tankplunkett, Jun 25, 2018.

1. tankplunkett

tankplunkett New Member

So I brewed a gluten free beer using Sorghum syrup this weekend. I typically include 8 oz of Maltodextrine that is apparently supposed to help with the "mouthfeel" of the beer. Well I was adding additional hops to change up the recipe and I forgot to add the Maltodextrine. Does anyone have any idea how this will affect the beer? I didn't realize that I forgot it until I was adding yeast so it was way to late to add it.

2. Nosybear

Nosybear Well-Known Member

Maltodextrine is not fermentable, it doesn't add flavor so it doesn't matter when you add it. Make a syrup, 50% water, 50% maltodextrine, boil it for a few minutes to sanitize, let it cool and dump it in.

3. J A

J A Well-Known Member

You can add all sorts of ingredients post-pitch. Flavorings, honey, sugar, lactose, fruit. Sanitize the maltodextrine and get it in while there's still strong fermentation activity.

4. Hogarthe

Hogarthe Well-Known Member

If you don't add it, the beer might feel thin. Like a lite beer. Not necessarily bad, but it won't be the same as your used to. It won't change the flavor. Just how the beer feels in your mouth.

5. philjohnwilliams

philjohnwilliams Well-Known Member

I have added maltodextrine as late as bottling time, so as Nosybear suggested, you can boil it up and add it anytime.

6. tankplunkett

tankplunkett New Member

Thanks.

I boiled it up and added it a few days ago, 4 days after initial brew. I’m sure it’ll turn out fine. At least good enough to drink!

J A likes this.
  7. dankbrewing@gmail.com

You might check out the Brulosophy site, I believe they did an experiment with dextrine malt, with and without. Didn't seem to matter.

tankplunkett likes this.