Forced Caronation

There are several ways to get the job done, each way is the only acceptable way according to the submitter. You’ll have to figure out what works for you, based on the way you want to do it. Working with your first plan, I’d force carb at 30 psi for 2 or 3 days, then disconnect, do not purge. Make no CO2 adjustments during cold storage. Prior to serving 2 or 3 weeks later, purge the CO2 so the first pour doesn’t blow out. Dispense at serving pressure. Might not work perfect, but you’ll get it dialed in.

I wouldn't do 30psi for more than about 36 hours. Depending on temperature and how much CO2 is already in solution you risk over carbonating. After that reduce to serving pressure. It will finish carbonating in a few days. Also, If you don't plan on serving a beer for 2 or 3 weeks after kegging there's really no need to burst carbonate. Just set to serving pressure, usually 10 to 12psi., and in a couple of weeks it will be carbonated. There's really no reason to disconnect the CO2 and if you do before the beer is fully carbonated you risk under carbonating.

Also, If you don't plan on serving a beer for 2 or 3 weeks after kegging there's really no need to burst carbonate.
That’s the best bet, but his first post led me to believe he only has one gas line. A simple tee or manifold solves that problem. 2-3 weeks at serving pressure is all you need to properly carbonate a chilled keg.

That’s the best bet, but his first post led me to believe he only has one gas line. A simple tee or manifold solves that problem. 2-3 weeks at serving pressure is all you need to properly carbonate a chilled keg.

I read it as having 2 lines and a single regulator and assumed it was not home made. Going by that, I would expect it to have a on/off/check valve for each line. Good reason a post asking for advice should have details.

Thanks for the various replies... I guess a couple more specific questions...

If I force carb at 30 psi for 2-3 days and then don't serve the beer for 2-3 weeks do I just leave it unattached to the CO2 until it's time to serve?

Should I "store" it for those 2 weeks at a different pressure?

Should I hook it back up to the CO2 re-pressure to serving pressure and then "store" it at that pressure?

I certainly don't want it too foamy or flat when I finally server it.

Thanks!
if your not serving for 2 or 3 weeks don't force carb, its unnecessary, you only force carb when in a hurry to serve, just let both kegs sit at serving pressure then after 2 weeks the uncarbed beer will be fully carbed

Thanks for all your suggestions, this is great.

One more question:

If I am not going to be serving the beer for a couple weeks, I assume it's OK to carbonate at room temperature and leave the kegs at room temperature until ready to serve. (Bottle conditioning works that way.)

Thanks

It should be ok to leave the keg at room temp but co2 goes into the liquid easier when the liquid is cold.

Carbing at room temperature will not get you proper carbonation. The amount of CO2 that gets infused into the beer is a function of CO2 pressure, and beer temperature. Look up force carbonation, and you’ll find a chart that will tell you how to get the carbonation you’re looking for.

If not in a hurry you can natural carb in kegs exactly like you do in bottles .
Dropped 3 fresh kegs in today , 2 were natural carbed and warm and the other is just slow carbing .
Few different methods used in this thread so adapt the ones that'll suit you

Good point. 1/2 C of dextrose (right nosybear?) will carbonate a 5 gallon keg over a couple of weeks. That’d have to be kept at room temp.

Good point. 1/2 C of dextrose (right nosybear?) will carbonate a 5 gallon keg over a couple of weeks. That’d have to be kept at room temp.
I believe you use about 1/4 less for kegging than bottling but yes. And table sugar is cheaper and works just fine.

I believe you use about 1/4 less for kegging than bottling but yes. And table sugar is cheaper and works just fine.
1/4 of the 1/2C (so use 3/8C) or use 1/4C less (add 1/4C)?

Thanks; all good advice.

I am trying to get 4 corny kegs ready for a party in the second week of May so I may try one with natural carb and the others forced.

Use 1/2 C for 5 gallons.

Use 1/2 C for 5 gallons.
Sounds about right. I use weight but the calculator isn't set up for kegging. Use about 1/4th less than the calculator says.

That’s not my ratio. I read that from Charlie P.

Edit: I just looked it up. He said 1/3 C of corn sugar.

Last edited:
1/4 of the 1/2C (so use 3/8C) or use 1/4C less (add 1/4C)?

Thanks; all good advice.

I am trying to get 4 corny kegs ready for a party in the second week of May so I may try one with natural carb and the others forced.
About only downside to natural carbing in the keg is extra yeast / trub in the keg .
I copy a commercial beer served cloudy so that one is fine if I want a clear beer for a party I rack to a second keg under gas pressure to avoid yeast ect from swirling up

I don’t see extra yeast/trub as an issue. The first pint or two will be cloudy, but after that, clear beer.

Back