Foamy beer

Reaction score
When pouring my beer RIS it is super foamy, Ive looked online on how to carb it and there were several different ways, some low pressure some high, I went with high at 30psi for a few days, Ive now turned it down to 10 psi, relieved the keg of the pressure and hope it settles down. Temp is set to 44F, what can I do to tame this beer? It is really good and I dont want to waste it to foam. Beer line is 3/16id and about 4 foot long.

Does it feel like its over carbed? If it's an infection of some kind I'm not sure there is a way to reduce the foam. If it's just over carbed I've seen ways to handle it but I've never tried anyone myself...

No it taste great, just overcarbed, once i get it to settle down in a glass it taste amazing.

An infection doesn't necessarily means it taste bad though. Not long ago I had a keg of IPA with heavy foaming. I didn't take it too seriously so I just did a few tries to bring it down, like release all pressure and let it sit like that for some days. However it pressurised itself after a while so I figured it was some kind of infection causing it. It tasted very good though. Instead, I filled a liter jug with mostly foam, let it sit for some minutes, and were then able to pour me a nice pint from the jug.

I doubt infection...I think kegged beer seldom exhibits the same tendency as bottles to overcarbonate from wild yeasts lefover from bad cleaning.
You culprit is almost certainly the 30 PSI "for a few days", especially if you left your regulator set and hooked up to the keg the whole time. Overnight is usually enough to get a beer close to carbed when it's refrigerated.
The way you can cure the problem is to completely purge the keg and let it sit overnight. It totally depends on headspace so for a very full keg purge it a couple of times during the day and let it sit for 24 hours. Because the lower temp makes the CO2 want to stay in suspension, you may have to let it warm up to room temp for a bit and purge it. One way or another, you'll get it to settle at the proper headspace pressure. Your 10 lbs at 44F seems fine.
Also, your hose could stand to be a little longer for that pressure. I use 5-6 foot hoses but keep the serving pressure around 6 lbs.

As said above, purge the keg, Then disconnect the gas from the keg until you've got it back to a level you like then reconnect the gas at the lower pressure.

Echo above 30 PSI 24 hours purge set at serving pressure you should be good.

30 PSI 3 Days is too much.

Back