Flat Beer

That is a possibility too, but you'd think he'd notice liquid inside it.
I probably didn't explain it well in my first response but I figured if his thermometer was reading 4 or 5 degrees high he may have passed the lower end of conversion temps, since he read 146. Also possible that he was reading a hot spot in the mash. Either way, I would think, there had to have been measuring error(s) involved.

That is a possibility too, but you'd think he'd notice liquid inside it.
I probably didn't explain it well in my first response but I figured if his thermometer was reading 4 or 5 degrees high he may have passed the lower end of conversion temps, since he read 146. Also possible that he was reading a hot spot in the mash. Either way, I would think, there had to have been measuring error(s) involved.
Yeah. I'd been lurking in the thread but was starting to see all kinds of wild guesses so thought I'd chime in. It has to be measurement error. Even below 146, there would have been conversion. Even uncrushed, there would have been conversion. If he'd accidentally used a non base malt instead of two-row, it would have steeped more than 0.005 points out of the gravity. Basically, there is no way to get only 1.005 out of 12 pounds of malt in a five-gallon batch under the conditions described..

This reeks of measurement error. Even if absolutely no conversion took place, the dextrin sugars from the Crystal malt would have accounted for more than .005 increase in gravity.

Did I read correctly that you used mineral water for mash in?
Not sure what the ph is but could definately have had an impact. Is it the same water you used for prior batches?

Yes it is, Florida Natural Spring Water

Both readings look to be problematic. First, if you steep grain, even uncrushed, for an hour at 146 degrees you will get some conversion. Your grain bill should have yielded about a 1.062 wort assuming a 5 gallon batch. To get to 1.005 would indicate that only the pound of crystal converted! To get a reading this far off, I imagine a defective hydrometer, perhaps one that has cracked or otherwise leaked.

The Hydrometer is brand new. Is there any easy way to quickly test the Hydrometer??

Even at 146 you should have a fermentable wort. I will say though, once I dip below 150ish, my mash times extend to 90 miniutes. I would think if you could mash out at 170, you should have been able to get your mash temps up. Either way, you should have fermentables at 146. There are calculators here on BF that will help you with water, but I'll post another cause I think it's easier for beginners to use and I also like the way the numbers are given by what you enter. https://pricelessbrewing.github.io/BiabCalc/#Advanced

Dead Ringer is a fine kit. I've brewed it several times so I know it's worthy. I know the title says flat beer, so I take it you've packaged and nothing? How long has it been packaged?

There is this additional detail than it might add something else to the equation, grains were packed and stored on a dark dried place for about nine months.

Bottle beer for carbonation two weeks at about 18 C

There is this additional detail than it might add something else to the equation, grains were packed and stored on a dark dried place for about nine months.

Bottle beer for carbonation two weeks at about 18 C
Your best bet brew again brother read the how to brew book bu Mr Palmer.
Mashing is pretty easy aim for dead set in middle of sac rest wait an hour stir a time or two throughout the mash and gee you should get atleast a 65% mash efficiency.
Good luck be sure to post your results.

Back