First Time Brewing, I accidentally ordered all my grains in the same bag.

BoJ’

Trial Member
Reaction score
I’ve starting making Mead recently and it turned out great. Since that was a success I thought it would be fun to try and make a beer as well. I settled on a Belgian Witbier recipe I found online, but I guess I wasn’t paying attention when I was ordering the grain and ordered all of them to be packaged together in one bag. So now I have equal parts Pilsner Malt, Wheat Malt, flaked wheat, and flaked toasted Barley all mixed together (the malts are milled). It was a 1 gallon recipe that called for 12 oz of each of the malts and 4 oz of each of the flaked grains. I guess I’m just wondering what I can expect if I carry on and use the mixed grains at the 1:1:1:1 ratio?

Link to recipe here

I’ve starting making Mead recently and it turned out great. Since that was a success I thought it would be fun to try and make a beer as well. I settled on a Belgian Witbier recipe I found online, but I guess I wasn’t paying attention when I was ordering the grain and ordered all of them to be packaged together in one bag. So now I have equal parts Pilsner Malt, Wheat Malt, flaked wheat, and flaked toasted Barley all mixed together (the malts are milled). It was a 1 gallon recipe that called for 12 oz of each of the malts and 4 oz of each of the flaked grains. I guess I’m just wondering what I can expect if I carry on and use the mixed grains at the 1:1:1:1 ratio?

Link to recipe here
Did you order the same amount (i.e. 1 lb) of each grain or was each grain specific to the recipe? If each grain amount was specific to the recipe than you're fine. If not we'll have to think about the next step.

I would order more of the malt to get the ratio correct and make 4gal instead

Did you order the same amount (i.e. 1 lb) of each grain or was each grain specific to the recipe? If each grain amount was specific to the recipe than you're fine. If not we'll have to think about the next step.
I ordered 1lb of each.

I would order more of the malt to get the ratio correct and make 4gal instead
Not a bad idea, I just don’t have a large enough vessel for that right now, nor do I think I have the ability to consume that much beer.

order enough to brew 4 gallons as suggested, mix the grains together well, then divide it by 4
you will have enough to make 4 batches then
Thanks, I think that’s what I’ll end up doing. I can make adjustments to it as I make each batch then.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know what a brew heavy on the flaked grains, like I have, might turn out like?

I think @Minbari and @Craigerrr's idea is the best. But if you want to salvage what you have you could sift everything through a colander. Something with holes big enough to let the crushed grain through but trap the flaked grains (I'm assuming they are not milled.) You would then have a 2 lb combo of crushed grains and a 2 lb combo of flaked grains. Make sure each is mixed well and weigh 24 oz of crushed grains and 8 ounces of flaked.

Thanks, I think that’s what I’ll end up doing. I can make adjustments to it as I make each batch then.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know what a brew heavy on the flaked grains, like I have, might turn out like?
If you added 3lbs of Pilsner that would give you roughly
Pilsner 57.1%
Wheat Malt 14.3%
flaked wheat 14.3%
flaked toasted Barley 14.3%
Might make an interesting grain bill for a Hazy IPA
Maybe...

I think @Minbari and @Craigerrr's idea is the best. But if you want to salvage what you have you could sift everything through a colander. Something with holes big enough to let the crushed grain through but trap the flaked grains (I'm assuming they are not milled.) You would then have a 2 lb combo of crushed grains and a 2 lb combo of flaked grains. Make sure each is mixed well and weigh 24 oz of crushed grains and 8 ounces of flaked.
He said they are milled

you mentioned flaked TOASTED barley, do you mean ROASTED?
Roasted would likely be very dark, do you know the SRM, who is the maltster on that one?

He said they are milled
I assume he meant the non-flaked grains. Back when Northern Brewer had retail locations, they had a sign near the mills that said not to mill flaked grain because it gummed up the rollers.

I think it'll turn out great!

Screenshot_20240403_073133_Chrome.jpg

If that's the grist above it'll be perfect it's a yeast driven style after all as above just make sure you hit your gravity adding pilsner malt as Craig said will sort it if your OG is too low.

Best thing is plug in your malts and amounts into the brewersfriend software here and that will give you an idea if A your gunna hit your OG and B weather or not your IBUs will be ballanced for style (quite low for Hefeweitzen I'm spitballing 14ibu off the top of my head.

It'll be beer :D

I think it'll turn out great!

View attachment 28956
If that's the grist above it'll be perfect it's a yeast driven style after all as above just make sure you hit your gravity adding pilsner malt as Craig said will sort it if your OG is too low.

Best thing is plug in your malts and amounts into the brewersfriend software here and that will give you an idea if A your gunna hit your OG and B weather or not your IBUs will be ballanced for style (quite low for Hefeweitzen I'm spitballing 14ibu off the top of my head.

It'll be beer :D
lol thanks, I’ll give an update once I start, if anyone cares.

Toated barley for witbier?
Strange addition

Other than that, you've been given some good advice

Toated barley for witbier?
Strange addition

Other than that, you've been given some good advice
How is it strange? How will it influence the brew? It was the only flaked barley I could find and didn’t know any better.

How is it strange? How will it influence the brew? It was the only flaked barley I could find and didn’t know any better.
Flaked barley will aid in foam retention and bring a full body to the beer in my opinion perfectly for a witbier but that's comming from a Ceoliac who can't eat wheat lol

Back