First time All-Grain brewing

Flynnigans

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am in the process of purchasing a Robobrew to start all grain brewing. I have only brewed with extract previously and cant wait to get into AG brewing.

Does anyone have a basic all grain recipe to start my all grain experience?

Thanks for your help!

I would go with some water with no chlorine in it too!

Hey everyone,

I am in the process of purchasing a Robobrew to start all grain brewing. I have only brewed with extract previously and cant wait to get into AG brewing.

Does anyone have a basic all grain recipe to start my all grain experience?

Thanks for your help!
I've tried both methods and by fair prefer All-Grain. Feel the taste is much better. My advice is that you can never stir enough, the more you treat your batch like a baby, the better it will turn out.

Thanks guys!

I will give that one a crack nosy bear once I get set up.

I love most beers to be honest, the last extracts I did were stout, amber ale and pale ale.

I was looking into SMaSH recipes also and they do look pretty straight forward, there is a Cascade one I am going to try I think.

I wanted to do this and my supplier said I shouldn't. Wanted to SMaSH so that I could really understand hop profiles
Single hop is good for understanding hop profiles if you continue to brew beers with only one hop. Many brewers do and I do some of the time.

Any blend of modern hops, however, is very difficult to imagine from single hops. There's ingredients that are under the taste threshold in the hops on their own, but when they're together they hit that taste threshold and you get so many new flavours.

So maybe that's what they meant?

Thanks guys!

I will give that one a crack nosy bear once I get set up.

I love most beers to be honest, the last extracts I did were stout, amber ale and pale ale.

I was looking into SMaSH recipes also and they do look pretty straight forward, there is a Cascade one I am going to try I think.
Congrats on the Robobrew purchase! You are going to love it! Feel free to pop in here with questions if you have them. There are several of use who use it too.

SMaSH is a great way to go about it. Cascade hops are certainly a good choice. If I were to SMaSH a bunch of beers or experiment in general then I think Cascade would be a good hop choice to keep the same in each recipe and play with different malts. (I am a malt guy)

Last edited:
I have received strange advice from some staff at home brew shops, but advising against starting with simple recipes (epitomized by smash) seems to be about as strange as it gets. I’m reminded of a friend who announced he had completed his first home brew: Mango Jallapeno with Hallertau Blanc and Azacca. I mean, what could go wrong? And anyway, who’s to say what went wrong when it does?

I have received strange advice from some staff at home brew shops, but advising against starting with simple recipes (epitomized by smash) seems to be about as strange as it gets. I’m reminded of a friend who announced he had completed his first home brew: Mango Jallapeno with Hallertau Blanc and Azacca. I mean, what could go wrong? And anyway, who’s to say what went wrong when it does?
That's the point of starting with simple recipes. Of course there's a point in arguing for if you're selling supplies - a drain pour means either the new brewer quits or comes back to buy more supplies.

Single hop is good for understanding hop profiles if you continue to brew beers with only one hop. Many brewers do and I do some of the time.

Any blend of modern hops, however, is very difficult to imagine from single hops. There's ingredients that are under the taste threshold in the hops on their own, but when they're together they hit that taste threshold and you get so many new flavours.

So maybe that's what they meant?
Totally agree Mark I rarely use single hop I'm ales but largers it's just a single noble hop.

But man a combination of new world hops I think beats using more of one of them on their own hands down.

My fave of late
ENIGMA Eureka Mosaic in equal portions

Sierra Nevada uses 1 hop in their signature pale ale, it's damned near a SMaSH according to their own recipe. So nothing wrong with a SMaSH beer.

Pretty amazing how they transitioned from using Magnum, Perle and and Cascade to just Cascade without a noticeable difference in the beer.

Back