First recipe - feedback please

Discussion in 'Recipes for Feedback' started by Brewer #88351, Apr 11, 2020.

1. Brewer #88351

Brewer #88351 New Member

2. Megary

Megary Well-Known Member

Nice recipe. You are probably more in the IPA range than Pale Ale but that's only semantics. Beer is beer.

I would only question the Lactose. Not sure what that brings to the table here. If you want some body, I would add a little Munich or pale Wheat instead. Just my .02.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Head First likes this.
  3. J A

J A Well-Known Member

Lactose? (where's the shudder/bleccch emoji?)
    The Crystal malt is fine but I wouldn't go darker than C-40 in a Pale.
    Malts like Munich, Victory or Biscuit can add interesting malty notes as well. As mentioned above, wheat malt is a good choice, or something like flaked barley, but your Crystal malt addition will do everything you need.

4. Mark Farrall

Mark Farrall Well-Known Member

So not coming from the lactose haters point of view, :p for JA, I think it's fine.

The things I'd do differently would be, magnum for the 60 minute boil addition, replace the crystal with wheat or oats (or bring down the base grain amount and do both).

Not sure how much hop aroma/flavour you want, but I'd increase the dry hop and that will push it more to that lower ABV hazy milkshake side of things if that's what you're after.

5. Nola_Brew

Nola_Brew Active Member

I'm one not in favor of using lactose in pale ale or IPA's unless it's a new England style. Not saying you should not add it just for me I would not.
    I would add some wheat for body.
    Hop wise I would not waste galaxy at 60. Use magnum or warrior to bitter. Your whirlpool and dry hop additions are on the light side. Bottom line is your recipe as written will make beer.

6. Grey Cat Brewing

In agreement with switching out the Galaxy at 60 min for something like Magnum or Warrior, but I've made a Belgian Saison (with yeast harvested from Oxbow Farmhouse Pale!) with all Galaxy additions and it came out fantastic, though less balanced than I wanted it. Let us know how it comes out!

Ross
    GCB