First Mashing

inaciojoao

Trial Member
Reaction score
hello friends brews I'm from Brazil and I want to make my first beer is
possible to succeed in the first mashing
I count on help of all thank you :D
Ps I would like to american ipa in the pan

an ipa is pretty easy but not the cheapest, use lots of hops. ask one question here and you'll get 5 different answers lol but good luck

I may be wrong, but it seems that you are asking if you will be able to make your first beer using all grain instead of using an extract recipe.
If that is your question, the answer is yes, but you'll have to prepare carefully and make certain that your equipment is suitable and that you have a good understanding of the process.
You might be interested in the BIAB method that will allow you to keep the grain in a cloth bag and doesn't require an elaborate set-up to achieve a good mash.
Good luck!

inaciojoao said:

If you have all the right equipment, of course you can. For a simple IPA I'd stick with a single infusion of around 65 or 66 degrees C.

inaciojoao said:
I think this depends entirely on what sized "pan" (pot?) you have.
As others have said, it should be no problem, but you do need to carefully calculate your mash, sparge and boil volumes.
How big is your mashing vessel, boil vessel, and how much do you plan to brew?

sbaclimber said:
inaciojoao said:
I think this depends entirely on what sized "pan" (pot?) you have.
As others have said, it should be no problem, but you do need to carefully calculate your mash, sparge and boil volumes.
How big is your mashing vessel, boil vessel, and how much do you plan to brew?

I think all that's important is that the vessels are all big enough for the intended amount of beer you want to produce.
I use an 18L mash tun, 30L bucket to sparge, a 25L kettle for the boil and a 30L fermenter. This is fine for beers up to 28L. Brewers friend does any calculations.

I just sparge until my Boil kettle is full. Yes, my boil is then often smaller than the intended volume of beer, but I just top it off with water to get the desired result. This way it's absolutely no problem to hit my intended OG.

Only two small drawbacks:

Slightly less hop utilization
Slightly less efficiency because sparging is stopped earlier

However these are almost negligible. I find that the last bit of sparging is only a few percent in efficiency anyway. With high gravity beers I'll keep on sparging into a smaller kettle and boil it on the side, just so I can use that bit of extra wort.

Benefits:

Being able to hit the exact volume and OG you want
Using chilled water you can cool the wort down more quickly if you need to

Back