First dumped batch

While I was looking into possible infections, I stuck to bacteria. I never really considered wild yeast. One abnormality that I hadn't mentioned yet is that the active, vigorous fermentation went on for an extra 2-3 days, at least. At the time I contributed it to low fermentation temps in my basement but extra yeast is a more reasonable explanation.

Considering the likely culprit, I can't defend my sanitation practices too vociferously, but I will say that my personality, and background as a biologist, doesn't really allow me to slack in that department. I've taken apart and thoroughly cleaned the spigot each time. I've also thoroughly cleaned the bucket with a rag and soap. With that said, I'll also admit there are always places to tighten up the program. The 90 degree corner at the bottom of the bucket is definitely a place that could get overlooked.

Regardless of everyone's success or horror stories related to plastic buckets, personally, I really like carboys for the simple fact that I can see what's going on. It fits my personality to see the whole process and in this particular instance, It would probably have clued me in to the problem.
It may just have been bad luck. Next batch will be better. Keep in mind, you can't completely rule out contamination of the yeast from the lab.

I am pretty sure that it has happened to all of us, me for one anyway.

If you've had a bad batch in a bucket it's foolish to risk using it again no matter how well you clean it. It's cheaper to replace the bucket than lose multiple batches of beer.

Back